New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - A lot of bad blocks !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Syd

Syd is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Coming from the world of PCs, I am very happy with my less than one month old MBP.

However, in the last few days, I noticed issues with disk IO.

TechTool Pro is currently running (I am writing from the PC now.. ) and within the last 5 hours of scanning the hard drive, it gives me 219 bad blocks and still has about 2/5 of the progress bar to do.

A FAT32 partition is created on the hard drive for running winxp (bootcamp).

I'll wait the test to finish but I am getting a bit disapointed about the hard drive having so much bad blocks.

Is the fat32 partition has something to do with techtool pro finding bad blocks ? Is there any chance my hard drive could be replaced for having that kind of number of bad blocks ?

I'd be happy to hear what you guys are thinking about this.

Regards,
Syd
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Since you are still under warranty, I would contact Apple.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Is the fat32 partition has something to do with techtool pro finding bad blocks ? Is there any chance my hard drive could be replaced for having that kind of number of bad blocks ?
I would check with Techtool about that question. You need to be sure your running a version fo Techtools that is compatible with your system too.

I'd run Apples Disk Utility to see what it says. You can find it in the Utilities folder. It will also tell you the "S.M.A.R.T. Status" if the drive has that ability.

If the drive is bad, you won't have a problem having Apple replace it.
QUOTE Thanks
stoneman

stoneman is on a distinguished road

New to this forum. I ran Techtool Pro 4.6.1 before installing OS X 10.5 to make sure the HD was clean, defragged, etc. All passed. Installed OS X 10.5, performed all software updates/firmware updates, then ran Bootcamp Assistant. All went great. Have been switching back and forth without any issues until..... The OS X partition froze requiring a force power down. Upon powering up 10.5 does not boot up. I get the "animated circle" but it never gets to the log in screen. Still able to boot to Windows Vista. Now booted to Techtool Pro's eDrive and running tests. All tests fine, except now HD Scan reports bad blocks, Over 100. I'm wondering if this is because Techtool Pro is seeing the NTFS partition and thinking this is a bad block. Disk Utility reports no issues and reports the drive is fine.

Any ideas? I haven't contacted Micromat because it's Saturday, but I'm hoping that the drive is really fine and Micromat just needs to update the HD scan to recognize the Bootcamp partition.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

id try putting in your osx install disk, and holding down alt at boot.

then repair/verify the drive, that should do it for the bad blocks/bootup issue

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stealth Mode Does Not Work | Data Recovery »