New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - how to transfer application files to external HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JaneChua

JaneChua is on a distinguished road

OK. I bought a 80GB external HD, partition it to 20gb n 60gb.

My usage for this external HD is mainly for temp transfer data to 20gb and keep iphotos images & itunes songs to the balance 60gb.

Q1) Is all the application i.e iphoto, itunes to install in the main harddisk (imac) and the folder that keep the photos and songs we move it to the external HD?

Q2) if we use iphoto or itunes, then we have to conect the external HD so it can read or save the new photos or songs in the external HD?

Advise needed........
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Crikey.

Well, the actual application (iTunes, iPhoto etc) should be on the primary hdd on your machine. That is, not the external drive.

However, the media can be kept on external drives. Now in iTunes, you can import files without actually copying the files to the local drive. With iPhoto I am not sure if that is possible, or if it insists on the files being copied over locally (maybe someone can answer that).

I generally use external drives as backup or to store files I only need occasionally. All my iTunes stuff is backed up to external drives and deleted on my local dive, because if I really want to listen to music on my MacBook I just plug in my iPOD.

Q1) Is all the application i.e iphoto, itunes to install in the main harddisk (imac) and the folder that keep the photos and songs we move it to the external HD? I'd keep the application folder and the folders it expects to be on your local HDD (that is Music, Photos etc) where they are and just move the actual files to the external disk to back up.

Q2) if we use iphoto or itunes, then we have to conect the external HD so it can read or save the new photos or songs in the external HD? Assuming you deleted them locally, yes you would. Also, you'd have to tell the application where to find the media.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Crikey.
Well, the actual application (iTunes, iPhoto etc) should be on the primary hdd on your machine. That is, not the external drive.
Why not? It works just fine. Programs like Carbon Copy Cloner or SilverKeeper can copy the contents of the entire drive to an external Firewire drive and you could even set it as your start-up drive, running the OS, apps and everything else off it.
The whole system will be considerably even, if you run it off an external drive spinning at 7200 rpm, as opposed to an internal 4200 rpm drive.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Why the **** not? It works just fine. Programs like Carbon Copy Cloner or SilverKeeper can copy the contents of the entire drive to an external Firewire drive and you could even set it as your start-up drive, running the OS, apps and everything else off it.
The whole system will be considerably even, if you run it off an external drive spinning at 7200 rpm, as opposed to an internal 4200 rpm drive.

1st of all I am just expressing an opinion, so calm down.

It does depend on what drive the person already has...but generally speaking, internal hdds are faster for loading applications. Disc drive spin speed isn't the only thing that affects performance.

I agree that a modern USB 2.0 or Firewire hdd @ 7200rpm is probably better overall than an internal 4200rpm drive.

Having said that, I don't know if the poster wants to have an external HDD connected all the time, but may need access to the apps even when the hdd is not attached.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

isn't firewire faster thatn usb 2.0?

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

On paper usb 2.0 is faster than firewire 1.0. But in real use firewire 1.0 throughput is faster than usb 2.0.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
JaneChua

JaneChua is on a distinguished road

well, thanks for all the reply.

Ok, actutally my question raised is because I don't want my Mac to slow now for keeping too many photos, songs, etc...

As I just reformat/reinstall my mac to its original and update to OSX10.1.5 with iphoto and itune application folder 'empty' and its work really smooth while I play Diablo 2 game (which was SUCK!! before i reformat/reinstall with all folders, files <photos, songs etc, all loacted at the main hard disk).

Now my thinking is, since I bought an external HD then I keep all images, songs over to the external HD (its should solve the problem for cozing game lagging while playing).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes menu blacked! | .sit Files »