New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - how to automate my airport connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claven2

claven2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram

Quick question that I hope has a quick answer!

Whenever I boot up my macbook from scratch I have to manually click on the airport icon and select my home network from a list of about 7 or 8 networks that are in close enough proximity to register on the macbook network list while at home. All available networks are WEP protected, including mine.

If i don't manually select the network, it won't connect on its own. But when I do select my home network, I don't have to re-enter the 26 digit WEP key or anything, keychain remembers it just fine and it connects in microseconds

What I want to know is, can I change a setting that will tell the mac to connect to this network automatically whenever I do a reboot if within range?

I tried selecting the "connect automatically to open networks" option in system preferences and that had no effect.

I'm running a 18.3 C2D, OSX 10.4.8 connecting to a 108Mbps D-Link DI624 with Super-G enabled, protected with MAC filtering and 128 bit WEP hex key. (what can I say, I'm paranoid!)

While I'm at it too... can the airport card in the macbook use 108Mbps Super-G transfer, or am I stuck with the defaul 54Mbps Airport transfer rate?
QUOTE Thanks
paulmalenke

paulmalenke will become famous soon enough

Ok, you want to go into your network preferences in system preferences. Then go to the airport section and you should see a "By default join", make sure it says "Preferred networks" and also make sure that your network is first on the list. This should fix it. If your network is not on the list, simply add it.

Also, right now D-links Super-G only works with other MIMO and Super-G hardware, and is currently not supported by any Airport card.
QUOTE Thanks
claven2

Ok, so airport is a 54Mbps solution only huh? Bummer. One of the few areas where Apple isn't leading the pack I guess...
QUOTE Thanks
paulmalenke

paulmalenke will become famous soon enough

I worked on a computer the other day that was on a Super-G network and it seemed just as fast as any other wireless network. Maybe it is just me though...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by claven2 View Post
Ok, so airport is a 54Mbps solution only huh? Bummer. One of the few areas where Apple isn't leading the pack I guess...
54 is currently the best industry standard. Anything over 54mbps hasn't been certified by the 802.11 board so apple won't adopt them until they are approved

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
claven2

Isn't the Super-G turbo standard just 802.11g with software acceleration?

In any event, my wireless network defaults to the speed of the slowest connected computer anyhow. Right now that's my brand new macbook!

My PC with netwear 802.11g 108Mbps wireless LAN card and D-Link DI-624 wireless access point router run at 108Mbps whenever the macbook is off. Once I log in with it, the whole network slows to 54Mbps. makes no difference for internet browsing, but it really impacts file transfer speeds.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sync questions | Problem with Network in Finder. »