New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - new to macs, problem installing bin file for media player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mdelinct

Hello,
I am 2 days new to a mac and I am trying to install windows media player so I can play .wmv files. I tried the flip4mac wmv player, doesn't seem to work. anyway, here is my problem.
when i try to open the .bin file I downloaded for the media player, it keeps opening it up with excel. What can I do?
is there a better way to watch .wmv files?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Media Player isn't supported on the Mac any longer. I would highly suggest not using it and using Flip4Mac instead. Chances are that if it won't work on a wmv file, Windows Media Player for Mac wouldn't be able to open it either.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
mdelinct

I installed the flip4mac and haven't been able to play .wmv files i recieve in emails. am i doing somethiing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

muirgheal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

I have this problem as well (not meaning to resurrect on old thread or anything) but I searched and this is exactly my problem as well. I am using firefox for my web browser (because I already knew where everything was- I'm a switcher) and this keeps happening to me too. websites like CNN.com use windows media player for video, and other news sites do as well. is there ANYTHING I can do? I try to download windows media player for mac and the exact same thing happens to me
:confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Bellator1968

Bellator1968 is on a distinguished road

OK, I'm new to mac as well... been on my new macbook for about two weeks and I had the same .bin issue. Just download and install Stuffit Expander

and the issue will be resolved. Flip4Mac is essential for media files.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellator1968 View Post
OK, I'm new to mac as well... been on my new macbook for about two weeks and I had the same .bin issue. Just download and install Stuffit Expander

and the issue will be resolved. Flip4Mac is essential for media files.
Thanks for the link. This made me realize what my problem was, also.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Or you can just use an app like EasyWMA to convert the WMA to mp3.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WPA Authentication failed: Security error: -9829 | email with attachments, problem help required. »