New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Spotlight & Finder Search DISFUNCTIONAL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HydroMac

Hi there,

I hope someone can help, I cant search my Mac nor Maxtor External drive via spotlight or in the finder? This happens in any account. Ive tried MainMenu but it says it cant find spotlight.

Ive also tried adding the drives to the privacy tab in the spotlight system prefs, but nothing shows in the list.

Any other ideas anyone?

p.s. Should there be a app of spotlight in the utitlities folder or somewhere? I can find it anywhere? but then again, i cant search very well.....

Any help would be much appreciated...:biohazard

Hydro
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have two spotlight folders in /library and users/myname/library. Are they there on yours?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroMac View Post
Hi there,

I hope someone can help, I cant search my Mac nor Maxtor External drive via spotlight or in the finder? This happens in any account. Ive tried MainMenu but it says it cant find spotlight.

Ive also tried adding the drives to the privacy tab in the spotlight system prefs, but nothing shows in the list.

Any other ideas anyone?

p.s. Should there be a app of spotlight in the utitlities folder or somewhere? I can find it anywhere? but then again, i cant search very well.....

Any help would be much appreciated...:biohazard

Hydro
Do you have the below icon in the top right corner of your macs desktop...
QUOTE Thanks
HydroMac

Thanx for the replies,

I do have the spotlight icon top right, and there is a spotlight folder in library/, but NOT in username/library/.

Can this be replaced/or re-installed?

Cheers guys :black:
QUOTE Thanks
HydroMac

This is the message Mainmenu gives me when I try to rebuild the index:

Rebuilding Spotlight index

Mon Nov 20 19:40:50 GMT 2006

/:
Volume index removed. Index will be rebuilt automatically.

Spotlight index has been deleted.

In a few moments, the Spotlight menu item, located at the top right hand corner of your display, will automatically start indexing the contents of your computer.

Mon Nov 20 19:40:57 GMT 2006

Rebuild Spotlight index complete

:radioacti

I know Ive not deleted any folders neye:
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried logging out and then logging in again?
If you have and nothing has changed, repair permissions and restart.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
HydroMac

Thanks,

Ive tried that, this has been a problem for over a year now. I have restarted many times.

Think I need to do a clean install?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto Autolaunch Help | Help!! Ibook wont allow me to sign in »