New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - Fax Browser application corrupted - can't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Horatio Street

I'm experiencing, for lack of a better word, a slow Mac meltdown.

#1 - my Address Book was completely wiped-out from one day to the other.

#2 - my Fax Browser application (which is a feature of the Apple Internal Modem package) will not open and I keep getting a crash report each and every time.

To try to remedy problem #2, I reloaded all software from Apple's recovery disk. But that didn't help. The application still will not open and continues to crash.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to fix this problem?

neye:
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried running the maintenance scripts with a program like Onyx. ?

Also run disk utility that can be found in your 'Utilities' folder and repair permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
Horatio Street

Thanks for responding to my thread.

I don't have "Onyx."

However, I will run my disk utility and see if it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Horatio Street

Well ... I ran Disk Utility, but it crashed when it had only a little bit more left to finish and froze-up.

If even Disk Utility is crashing, I know that something really bad is going on in my iBook's entrails.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Yes, that sounds bad. I'd back everything up re-format the harddrive and clean install of the hole system (not recover as that just updates stuff). If that doesn't solve the problem then it will be a hardware problem.

Have you installed any new ram recently. You could try taking out the ram under the keyboard and see if that helps!!!.

P.S Here is a link to the OnyX website. Good idea to run this program once a month to keep your computer healthy. Make sure you download the Panther version and not the one for tiger. The program is free.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.html
QUOTE Thanks
Horatio Street

Thanks for the input.

I did some research since I last posted and discovered that iTunes can cause problems when trying to repair permissions. Apple even suggests that the user physically remove the iTunes package from Library/Receipts and move it to the desktop before running Disk Utility. It's unbelievable that Apple knows there is a problem with their product and has done nothing to correct it.

It didn't help me, though, because my Disk Utility continues to crash just before it finishes its run. I hate to have to do what I know I must do, but I'm going to have to re-install OSX. What a drag.

By the way, I downloaded OnyX and tried to use it to repair permissions, but it also crashed because of the crash problems with my Disk Utility.

So much for the superiority of the Mac. I'm feeling as frustrated and disappointed as I used to feel when I had a Windows PC -- which is why I switched to the Mac system.

Ciao.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Onyx uses the same base system commands to repair permissions as disk utility so if their is a problem then it will crop up with both programs unfortunately. Software problems will always turn up no matter what system your running but I've had next to non since the introduction of OSX. The only time I ever do have problems is when I'm installing a lot of different software to try out. If their is a problem then a clean install is usually the best option.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« urgent macs loseing ip address | Question On Installing OS X Tiger »