New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Uninstalling/Reinstalling Java

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msb86

msb86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200

I wanted to Uninstall and Reinstall Java today, but am having a little trouble. I believe I removed ALL Java files from MacHD. I did this by searching for java in Spotlight and deleted all of the java folders etc. I then tried to reinstall java, but the installer is still telling me that I have java already installed :blind:. Not sure what to do from here. I did a search, but to no avail. Please, if you can help me asap that would be kick ***! Thanks again!

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Also search for JRE and JAR with spotlight, but it will probably come up with many things that have nothing to do with Java.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You haven't really uninstalled Java. Each Mac OS X system contains a built-in Java (version 1.3.1 or later). This built-in Java is also called MRJ 3.x.
It is also important to note this advice from Apple:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
3: Can I remove a Java update after I have installed it?
It is important to note that the current release system only includes the most recent release of each supported major version — 1.3, 1.4, and 5.0 on Tiger;— on a single system. In other words, you can not roll a Mac OS X Panther system back to Java 1.4.1 after installing 1.4.2 — the only way to do so is to reinstall the entire system.
Out of curiosity... why did you feel the need to uninstall it in the first place?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You haven't really uninstalled Java. Each Mac OS X system contains a built-in Java (version 1.3.1 or later). This built-in Java is also called MRJ 3.x.
It is also important to note this advice from Apple:

Out of curiosity... why did you feel the need to uninstall it in the first place?

That's interesting. I have an issue with Java - I use to to connect to my work PC (remote control). On OS X 10.2.8 on my old G3 it was fine on Firefox. On my new Mac (10.4.8) Firefox won't connect, but Safari will. I wonder if this is because Firefox is trying to use Java 1.4.1 and it isn't there? Whereas Safari knows to use the later version?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
That's interesting. I have an issue with Java - I use to to connect to my work PC (remote control). On OS X 10.2.8 on my old G3 it was fine on Firefox. On my new Mac (10.4.8) Firefox won't connect, but Safari will. I wonder if this is because Firefox is trying to use Java 1.4.1 and it isn't there? Whereas Safari knows to use the later version?
This might help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
4: What J2SE version do Java applets run under inside a browser?
Apple’s Safari browser can be configured to run Java applets in either J2SE 1.4 or 5.0 on Tiger systems using the Java Preferences application located at /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app. Safari only supports J2SE 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3. Other browsers developed to specifically use 1.3.1 will need to be updated to use a newer Java runtime. If you would like to see your favorite browser use J2SE 1.4 or 5.0 on Mac OS X, please contact the vendor and ask them to work with Apple to adopt a newer J2SE version.
That is from the same page as the previous quote I referenced.
The full link is here:

http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
msb86

I have absolutly no more java or java related files on my mac ... If I understand you guys correctly, there is NO way to remove Java? I'm not sure that I understand because if the app files and assoicated files are removed from the system then now is it not uninstalled?

QUOTE Thanks
msb86

Well...I was able to resolve my issue ... I just re-installed os x lol Guess I learned my lesson with java and os x

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cant add new users????? | A few questions. »