New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - deleting stuffit temp files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaitlinmac

kaitlinmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: osx 10.4.8 2 GB RAM

hi all
i used 'WhatSize' to find out where chunks of memory have gone and came across gigs of what appear to be invisible stuffit temp files (.$$ Stuffit Temp ##########) are these safe to delete? and just how do i go about deleting them? i know nothing about, and am quite frankly afraid of 'The Terminal."
thank you
kaitlin
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlinmac View Post
hi all
i used 'WhatSize' to find out where chunks of memory have gone and came across gigs of what appear to be invisible stuffit temp files (.$$ Stuffit Temp ##########) are these safe to delete? and just how do i go about deleting them? i know nothing about, and am quite frankly afraid of 'The Terminal."
thank you
kaitlin
While I can't really comment on your stuffit temp files, I did find a relevant link about recovering Hard Disc space.

http://creativebits.org/2004/11/os-x...isk-space.html
QUOTE Thanks
kaitlinmac

thank you for that article.
i figured out that 'Whatsize' allows u to delete the invisible files to a .Trash folder but then they have to be 'Moved To Trash' and deleted to totally lose them.
it's a very useful app but i really wish there was some documentation to support it. i just muddled tru it so i hope i didn't mess things up.
does anyone know where to find such documention? i've searched google and there is mention of it but i can't track it down.
thank you again
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
thank you for that article.
i figured out that 'Whatsize' allows u to delete the invisible files to a .Trash folder but then they have to be 'Moved To Trash' and deleted to totally lose them.
it's a very useful app but i really wish there was some documentation to support it. i just muddled tru it so i hope i didn't mess things up.
does anyone know where to find such documention? i've searched google and there is mention of it but i can't track it down.
thank you again
I did find this info which doesn't add that WhatSize doesn't tell the user what is safe to delete. What is noteable is that there is mention of two similar tools which may come with tutorials

Quote:
WhatSize is a simple tool that allows the user to quickly measure the size in bytes of a given folder and all subfolders and files within it. You would be surprised at how many useless files might be laying around on your hard disks. The files and folders are automatically sorted by size, with the biggest sizes first.

While the app is measuring a folder the user can browse the files within that folder and immediately see the size in bytes. Hidden files, cache files, directories will all show up with their corresponding size. This application is similar to NeXTSTEP, DarkForest.

Once the measuring of a folder has ended the user can also view the information by filtering for particular file sizes or types. The user can also move unwanted files and folder in the corresponding Trash bin similar to the Finder’s Delete button.

Developed in Cocoa, Objective-C, the application makes use of multithreading, low level UNIX file system APIs, C programming and Obj-C method implementation(IMP) caching to achieve speed, low memory footprint and stability, unmatched by other tools.
I also found this which you may or may not have already seen:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macg...rc=macgemsblog
QUOTE Thanks
kaitlinmac

thank you!
i'd not seen the macworld info.
it definitely helps.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
thank you!
i'd not seen the macworld info.
it definitely helps.
Glad to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the difference between the Home folder and the Hard Drive Folder? | Installing network printer »