New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Only 1 install disk !?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cboblett

My friend bought a mac mini, and I also have one. He bought it off ebay, and I told him I would help him do a fresh install of OSX. The problem is that his mac mini only came with the first install disk for 10.4, and his is an intel mac. Mine is a G4 mac, and I have both my install disks for 10.2. Is there any way to use his first disk and my second disk to install OSX on his computer? If not, how do I get my hands on the correct disk 2 to finish his install? My friend has a macbook with an intel, but I believe that the disks that are shipped with the hardware are specific for the machine they are on. Would there be any chance that apple would send me a disk 2 by itself? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
webbywebber

webbywebber will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext

are you sure there's supposed to be two disks for installing? i'd have to go and look but i'm fairly sure that my macbook came with only one. mabey it's because it's a dvd instead of a cd?
regardless, i doubt that your second disk would work with his firs disk, they are 2 completly different pieces of software

DEATH TO BIKE THIEVES
QUOTE Thanks
cboblett

I'm pretty sure it is two disks because the first disk says "disk 1", and on my mac mini I have two install disks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

1. If the install media that came with your friends is a DVD then there will only be one disc
2. The OS X discs are different for PPC and Intel's so yours wouldn't work
and 3. It would be illegal to use your discs on his even if it did work

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Leopard be available for PowerPC ? | getting Windows media streaming videos to play »