New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - .Bin files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whollyYours

whollyYours is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm really new to Macs. This is actually my first one ever and I love it.

Now, I've been trying to download some applications that have a .bin extension and the only application that seems to open them is Stuffit and it just uses Microsoft Excel and the file is a bunch of gibberish.

What's going on here?

Thanks a bunch
john~
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

In my experience, .bins have been Toast files...

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

.bin when combined with .cue usually goes with toast. But .bin is also just another type of .zip or .rar

You need to see the files to automatically open with stuffit instead of excel. Click on the .bin file hit Apple+I and make sure the Open With is set to StuffIt Expander

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, .bin files are image files..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.bin#.BIN.2F.CUE
QUOTE Thanks
whollyYours

whollyYours is on a distinguished road

Oh wow, OK, I apologize ya'll. Apparently I didn't even have Stuffit downloaded...I seriously thought I did because it was saying it was opening it with that.

Ok, thank ya'll so much

(That was kinda embarassing)
john~
QUOTE Thanks
lovinthehomegro

Any sugguestions as to why stuffit wont open my windows media player .bin file?
QUOTE Thanks
Maco

Maco is on a distinguished road

To open the windows media player expander using stuffit you need to go to stuffit perferences then uncheck the box where it says "Continue to expand if possible"

Then try to expand windows media player installer using stuffit to get "Windows media.sitx"
Expand this file using stuffit again to get the installer, the rest is up to you

Once you go Mac you never go Back
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Volume needs repair"- problem | Resetting Mouse?! »