New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Sharing with windows...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StonePatch

Hello,

I have an mac mini and have an external harddrive and like to know an easy way to share it threw with my pc on my network place. i can only see what my pc is sharing on the thing with my mac. but not the other way arround. im new to mac having trouble with it...

thx
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Two things,...

Turn on Windows File Sharing in the System Preferences > Sharing Pane

Download SharePoints to share a specific folder other than your home folder. Macs will only share their home folders out with out tweeking it with SharePoints.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Any advice on how to access your Mac from a Windows PC, as it asks for a USername and Password, and I've tried all the possible Username and Passwords it could be but still nothing.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

nameofmac\username
password

or

nameofpc\username
password

Windows and Mac look in certain places for a user list to authenticate. Providing the computer/domain name before the username tells the computer where the user is. If you have a windows share with a a pc name of dell and a username of joe, the username to the mac is dell\joe. The big pain for mac's is the default computer names are ridiculous. On the PC side to access a mac share, (unless you've renamed you mac) it would be something like joe-smiths-computer\joe

I can't remember now but you might need to try / or \ between macname and username. pc's like \ not sure if it's the other way around for macs.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Thanks for that...That sorted out my singing into Mac Problem.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer Mac Mail config | Restarted with OS9 and now i am stuck there. »