New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Lost identity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andersb71

AArrrggh!!
I changed my name in Finder next to the "Home" (house) icon. by rightclicking on it / "Get info" and then just wrote a new name in the name field, then I continued to work and all was fine. After a reboot OSX came up like it had just been installed. My Apps was still there and so was the files that was on the HD but my files on the desktop was gone and everything seemed to have been reset to the default wallpaper, menubar icons and systemsettings. But the worst thing is that my MS Entourage (Legal copy) acted as if it had just been installed too.. Where are all my mails/projects/adresses? Messenger also wants to start over so does iTunes (Maybe more)
It's as if OSX has lost connection to (or parts of) my identity. It changede the name back to the original name itself. I did a Disc perm repair with no luck either. In Library/preferences I tried to temp. change the MS filenames on the Plist files AND the "Microsoft" folder so that I forced it to create new ones - didn't help either. (have now restored the original MS files)

What's a desperate man to do? I really need my emails..
Really hope someone can help me!
Br Andy CPH
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Goto Macintosh HD ----> Users

Does your "newly named" folder appear in there?

That might be a way to get to your old files but I'm sure someone else might know a way of restoring all the contents, settings and everything back. I think what you've effectively done is create a New User minus the Login. So then when you booted up your Mac again it had your Login Settings just not your files, application settings, etc.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
andersb71

thanx yes U R right they are both there the new and the old.. question is how to get the old one back??
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersb71
thanx yes U R right they are both there the new and the old.. question is how to get the old one back??
Unfortunately I'm too much of a "newbie" to answer that, I hope someone else can help you out about restoring it.

**Continue at your own Risk

You could try but It might make the situation worse, Delete the New User and then Rename the "Changed" User back to what it was before you edited it with "Get Info." then Reboot your computer and hopefully you'll be back were you started previously.

I'd be inclined to back up your work before you do that, but as I say it's your own grave if it all goes wrong.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
andersb71

Thanx, but I dare not 'till someone else also thinks it's a good idea- but it's certainly a possibility..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Default Internet Setting | Partition sizes? »