New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Do I have some malware???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MatCan

Hello,

I have recently started to get the following popup message in Safari:

"Popup blocking software has prevented display of the Trend Micro Security Services dashboard. Open an Internet Explorer window and enter the following URL in the Address box: http://tmss.trendmicro.com/dashboard."

Now, I dont use IE, Ive not installed anything to do with Trend Micro, I've cleared the cache and history but this message is appearing quite regularly...

If I go to the link I get forwarded to the following page:

http://tmss.trendmicro.com/Dashboard..._error_10.aspx

My housemate has also just installed a new wireless router: a d-link DI-624M which appears on the above link. Surely the router isnt creating the popup is it?!

Can anyone offer any solutions or shed any light on the problem???

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This sounds like something that is happening regularly because you are regularly visiting a specific site that is causing this. Can you tie this occurance to regularly visiting a new site that you did not used to?

The message seems a dead giveaway. You are using Safari but it is assuming that like 90% of users, IE is the browser. Hence, this is LIKELY a fairly dumb piece of HTML on a web site, not something stuck in Safari or your Mac.

Also, the fact that it asks you to visit a specific site sounds VERY suspicious. This looks like a an attempt to get you to go somewhere where you can get REALLY infected. Steer clear!!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MatCan

That was my first thought but it will popup on just about any site that I visit, including searches on Google...
QUOTE Thanks
MatCan

I have cleared the cache and all the cookies but its still appearing, even when the only site I navigate to after Ive done all that, is Apple.com... anyone got any more ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Is there any way to bypass the new router just to check if it is behind this? Also, as dumb as this sounds, have you tried disabling pop up blocking on Safari just to see what ..ahem... pops up? There is a setting under Safari's Preferences, Security to enable/disable pop up blocking. It *could* be the router... that seems to be all else that has changed recently in your environment, right?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MatCan

Turns out it is the router.

I got the same popup on my Powerbook without really visiting any of the usual sites and my housemate mentioned that she gets it on her computer too and that the router has something to do with Trend anyway (not sure what tho).

What a stupid thing to set on a router!!!

Now just have to get my other ousemate to disable it somehow...

Thanks for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eyetv 200 question | Help IP printing »