Geoffhar
    Question Help!! How to run classic on osx 10.4.8
    Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    What kind of system is your OSX machine?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffhar
    Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff
    If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.
    Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?

I've looked at the homepage a few times and been a bit daunted by what looks like a build process and lots of other steps to get it working but others on here I'm sure have said it works?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem
    Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?
    Nope, it is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    You cannot use Mac OS 9 applications on Intel-based Macintosh computers because the Classic environment is not supported.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/mh860.html

As far as SheepShaver is concerned:
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepShaver Developers
    Hello, it is well known that you dropped support for MacOS Classic applications in MacOS X for Intel. Should you care of your users, people that made you a living for years, please consider the following: either (i) bring back a Classic environment, or (ii) help SheepShaver development. The latter can be realized by releasing code and/or documentation about MacOS Classic internals. Thanks.
    This would imply that even the SheepShaver developers themselves cannot get it to work on an Intel Mac. :black:
    http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Geoffhar
    Hi, Thanks for your replies, I have an old blue & white Desktop G3 with 1GB ram.

Thanks

Ahhh ok d3v1L80Y, I'd read posts like

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...ht=sheepshaver

And thought it was just a given that this is what it did. Reading the link you posted, I see it supports up to Mac OS 9.0.4 on i386 Mac OS X, so will this not be good enough for most old games?

Thread Information