New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Help!! How to run classic on osx 10.4.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geoffhar

Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What kind of system is your OSX machine?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffhar
Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff
If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.
Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?

I've looked at the homepage a few times and been a bit daunted by what looks like a build process and lots of other steps to get it working but others on here I'm sure have said it works?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?
Nope, it is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
You cannot use Mac OS 9 applications on Intel-based Macintosh computers because the Classic environment is not supported.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/mh860.html

As far as SheepShaver is concerned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShaver Developers
Hello, it is well known that you dropped support for MacOS Classic applications in MacOS X for Intel. Should you care of your users, people that made you a living for years, please consider the following: either (i) bring back a Classic environment, or (ii) help SheepShaver development. The latter can be realized by releasing code and/or documentation about MacOS Classic internals. Thanks.
This would imply that even the SheepShaver developers themselves cannot get it to work on an Intel Mac. :black:
http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Geoffhar

Hi, Thanks for your replies, I have an old blue & white Desktop G3 with 1GB ram.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Ahhh ok d3v1L80Y, I'd read posts like

Will Classic OS 9 run on a Mac Pro??

And thought it was just a given that this is what it did. Reading the link you posted, I see it supports up to Mac OS 9.0.4 on i386 Mac OS X, so will this not be good enough for most old games?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pasting working for some applications not others - where is the Mac clipboard? | Transfer Photos from External Drive »