New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Older G4s and 10.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toulouse

toulouse is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I bought a new 12' G4 iBook, it's the 1GHz that came with 10.3. I've put in a 1GB ram stick, wiped the drive and installed 10.4 on it that came with my 12" 1.33GHz iBook (is that fair use?).

The older iBook is significantly slower doing pretty much everything, especially the internet and (gross I know) AOL (I don't use it, it's for the partner).

I know there's a bit of a speed update in the 1.33, CPU obviously, bus speed, etc, but I'm wondering if perhaps the older G4s are better off using 10.3 instead of 10.4. Is there any merit to that thinking?

Thanks for any input...

.:Rien n'est si désagréable que d'être pendu plus gran que votre petit ami:.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I would expect it to feel a bit slower but not that much you are describing.

You have plenty of RAM. On the Internet it should be about the same. I know many people with Tiger on their G3 ibooks leave alone G4's.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

My old G4 733Mhz ran Tiger fine.

Did you update or did you wipe and install from scratch?
QUOTE Thanks
toulouse

toulouse is on a distinguished road

I completely wiped the drive and installed from the dvd that came with my new(er) 1.33GHz iBook. I think I'll try rebooting everything everywhere and see of that helps. I have a cable modem and airport so maybe something there is tarded. I'll also try making a new profile in the airport...

.:Rien n'est si désagréable que d'être pendu plus gran que votre petit ami:.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

My G4 400mhz with 512mb ram runs Tiger no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, RAM is a must, but you shouldn't really feel much of a difference between the two at all otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger deleting my files HELP! | Help! »