New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Locking your machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

In windows you just used to hit Windows + L and it would put the login screen infront of you but you still would be logged in so it effectively just stopped anyone touching your machine while you were away from it.

Is this possible with OS X?

Cheers
Liam
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Enable fast use switching and you can switch it to the login window if you walk away.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, found it as soon as I posted it typically enough in another forum!

Cheers
Liam
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

nice.. the search function prevails.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Is there any way of making this a keypress though? I must say its one key sequence I do miss from the PC, just being able to quickly hit Windows-L (or Ctrl-Alt-Del-k on Win 2k).

I had a search around and couldn't find any reference to making this a keyboard shortcut...
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

I have computer set up to require a password when recovering from sleep or screen saver. Then i made the top right corner == screensaver. So i just slide my mouse up and to the right and pow! screen locked and I am already walking away.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Mmmm I considered that one but it would annoy me if I'm reading a web page (for instance) and it goes into screen saver and I'd have to log on again.

There MUST be a way of doing this on a keypress?????
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Shift+Apple+Q is the logout shortcut, but maybe this will help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...gin%2Bshortcut
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

See I don't want to logout... I just want to get to the login screen (i.e. locked!).

I've read through that article and the comments, and it seems this is more than slightly difficult to do but there is a piece of freeware called SizzlingKeys (http://www.yellowmug.com/sk4it/) thats meant for controlling iTunes. It apparently adds a couple of keyboard shortcuts, one of which is to get to the user switching menu. Hopefully that'll do the job. I'll reply back tonight once I get it running.

Why Apple couldn't have just given us a shortcut to get there I do not know...
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well how about just setting your screensaver to like 15 or 20 minutes, that way if your reading a WebPage, then more than likely you'll move your mouse or press your keyboard once within that time since you'll have to scroll down for reading. That's what I would do.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
See I don't want to logout... I just want to get to the login screen (i.e. locked!).

Why Apple couldn't have just given us a shortcut to get there I do not know...
Try this:
Want to lock your computer quickly?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Call me old fashioned, but I like having the choice of when I want to lock it and when I don't. I've just installed that Sizzling Keys app (freeware!) and it does exactly what I want, I now have Alt-Cmd-L assigned to the login window.... nice
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Mmmm I considered that one but it would annoy me if I'm reading a web page (for instance) and it goes into screen saver and I'd have to log on again.

There MUST be a way of doing this on a keypress?????
So set the screen saver for 3 hours.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Call me old fashioned, but I like having the choice of when I want to lock it and when I don't. I've just installed that Sizzling Keys app (freeware!) and it does exactly what I want, I now have Alt-Cmd-L assigned to the login window.... nice
So, when you do this ^ you're at the login window.....and are still logged in, with all open apps still running etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
So, when you do this ^ you're at the login window.....and are still logged in, with all open apps still running etc?
Yep, exactly how I wanted it

I dunno, there's times I want to quickly return to the login screen while I'm typing and opening menus and selecting with the mouse is just hassle I don't want. Seems an easy thing to have built in but this solution is perfect.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot from iPod??? | Deleted files still there? »