New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Rescue/Repair Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Griffo

Griffo is on a distinguished road

When all the basic OSX troubleshooting 'fixes' posted on here don't work, is there some 'advanced' software one can get to try to revive a HD which is reporting "Keys out of order" please?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Alsoft's Disk Warrior does one thing,...but does it well.
QUOTE Thanks
Griffo

Many thanks for the reply. I've read some of the details of this program and admit it sounds very good indeed. One thing I'm not sure of though, is it the imac's directory that has been corrupted?

When using 'Verify' on the resident HD (having booted from a firewire HD), it reports 'Keys out of order'. Does that mean a corrupted directory?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If all else fails, you can use something like ProSofts Data Rescue II. It's worked for me several times when everything else failed. You can recover your data, then just reformat or replace the drive.

QUOTE Thanks
Griffo

That also looks very good, many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo
Many thanks for the reply. I've read some of the details of this program and admit it sounds very good indeed. One thing I'm not sure of though, is it the imac's directory that has been corrupted?

When using 'Verify' on the resident HD (having booted from a firewire HD), it reports 'Keys out of order'. Does that mean a corrupted directory?
Keys out of order relates to the catalog and if damaged the Mac has trouble finding files/data.

As mentioned ^^Disc Warrior or Data Rescue II will get your mac back on it's feet.
QUOTE Thanks
Griffo

Good news, thanks, i'll get one/both.
QUOTE Thanks
Griffo

I downloaded Disk Warrior and transferred it to the external HD, then tried the repair, having booted the G4 from the firewire external drive.

It seemed to go fine until step 5, Locating Directory Data, when a message said 'speed inhibited due to disc malfunction'. Disk Warrior Techies very kindly advised me by email, to leave it running, maybe for hours/days!

I'm delighted to say that, after about 10 hours it worked! The G4 will now boot from the resident drive. So now I just need to get the important files/folders etc. off it onto our new G5, then I can install a new HD and get the G4 back to health again.

Many thanks for the kind help folks, much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Griffo

Just one remaining problem (I hope!), a couple of files that were created in OpenOffice (1) won't now open or transfer to the new mac (has OO 2) either, plus a couple of OO files seem to have disappeared. Is it likely that, if I run DW again it will fix this or is there something else I can try?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data/file transfers | Mail: How to recall a sent message? »