New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Still need help installing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trey5498

OK, Just to recap I am tring to install OS X 10.4 on a G3 Blue and White mac that has mac OS 9.2 on it at the presant time. I had upgraded the memory to 512k and have a blank 20 gig HD to install it on.

I updated the firmware via the instal pkg from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 and it didnt take long at all, tho every thing I read said it would takes hours. It didnt even ask to restart. When I pressed and held 'C' while rebooting to get it to boot off the DVD-Rom It went to a grey screne and nothing happened. When I tried to run the install via the OS 9.2 it just told me unable to locate startup disk. I cant seem to be getting this right at all. All my experence is in Windows and PCs so I am getting a little discouraged.

What did I do wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey5498
OK, Just to recap I am tring to install OS X 10.4 on a G3 Blue and White mac that has mac OS 9.2 on it at the presant time. I had upgraded the memory to 512k and have a blank 20 gig HD to install it on.

I updated the firmware via the instal pkg from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 and it didnt take long at all, tho every thing I read said it would takes hours. It didnt even ask to restart. When I pressed and held 'C' while rebooting to get it to boot off the DVD-Rom It went to a grey screne and nothing happened. When I tried to run the install via the OS 9.2 it just told me unable to locate startup disk. I cant seem to be getting this right at all. All my experence is in Windows and PCs so I am getting a little discouraged.

What did I do wrong?
Which blue and white have you got? The scsi one?
QUOTE Thanks
trey5498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
Which blue and white have you got? The scsi one?
It has a SCSI card in but when I chose the SCSI selection via the page above it tells me that it is not supported. I am so bloody comfused it isnt even funny
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
It has a SCSI card in but when I chose the SCSI selection via the page above it tells me that it is not supported. I am so bloody comfused it isnt even funny
I realise this might be stupid to ask, but did you download the corresponding firmware update?

I noticed there were 2 updates.

~
QUOTE Thanks
trey5498

Quote:
I realise this might be stupid to ask, but did you download the corresponding firmware update?

I noticed there were 2 updates.

~
I tried both actually. The one without the scsi did its thing in about 3 seconds and that was about it. The one with the scsi (Which my Mac does have the scsi card in it) Am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
I tried both actually. The one without the scsi did its thing in about 3 seconds and that was about it. The one with the scsi (Which my Mac does have the scsi card in it) Am I missing something?
What about the 20gb HD, did you install it recently? What is the format? This could be the problem.

I found this:

Quote:
if yours needs a firmware update, you'll have to buy a copy of OS 9 because that is needed to run the firmware update. Maybe in the case that you did not want OS 9 but you needed a firmware update you could take it to an Apple Store and they could apply it for you [they could install OS 9 briefly, do the firmware update, and then erase OS 9]
QUOTE Thanks
trey5498

Quote:
What about the 20gb HD, did you install it recently? What is the format? This could be the problem.

I found this:
At this time the current HD is the 6 gig one that Has OS 9.2 on it. The 20 gig HD is formatted to fat 32. I realize that this is a windows format, but I was going to reformat it as a 2nd HD when I eventually got OS X installed.

I have a windows DVD working with the system to house the install dvd for OS X but it is working fine with os 9.2.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need some help | Adding apps to apple menu - OS X »