New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Tiger install can't see my Hard disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ukplc

Hello. I got a Powerbook G4 (12") from a friend with a broken hard drive. I have replaced the hard drive, and now I'm trying to install OSX 10.4. But at the screen that says "select volume to install OSX on," nothing is displayed.
The Apple website suggested the Hard drive might have been set to slave, but I ran the disk utility and this isn't the case.
Here are the details:

Drive model: Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00
Revision: MB30A60A
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not supported.

Disk utility gives the following...
Connection ID: Device 0
Device Tree: pci2/ata-6@D/@0:0
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Disc Number: 0

The Hitachi website says there are no drivers I can download, they are in the operating system apparently. It says something about 'initializing' the disk with Disk Utility. I didn't see anything in Disk Utility that would let me do that. Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Open Disk Utility, click on the drive. Click on the tab that says erase. Give it a name and click on erase.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

yea it appears that you need to simply format the drive
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
ukplc

Yep, you were absolutely right, that was all I needed to do. Now I've installed Tiger and everything is working fine.
Thanks a lot for helping out a clueless Mac-newbie.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAIL-contact import? | Moving Apps »