New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Need help installing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trey5498

I have a the old White and Blue g3 mac that has a 300 processor, 512k memory, and a 6 gig HD. At the moment it is running mac OS 9.2 and I want to upgrade it to OS X 10.4. This is my first mac and it was given to me by a friend. What do I need to do to install OS X on it and run it. I also have a 20 gig HD that I want to use that has nothing on it. I am such a windows and PC junkie and such a noob at mac, so I am pleading for help. Any help would be greatful.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

If you install the 20GB hard disk, then I think all you need to do is boot while holding down the C key with the disk in the drive. You might need to patch the firmware though - you'll need to use your OS 9 install to do that. Check on the Apple support page for your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
trey5498

The firmware may be the problem. Cause when I do hold down the C button it basically just sits there with a grey screen and does nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
trey5498

Ok I updated the firmware via the instal pkg from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 and it didnt take long at all, tho every thing I read said it would takes hours. It didnt even ask to restart. When I pressed and held 'C' It went to a grey screne and nothing happened. When I tried to run the install via the OS 9.2 it just told me unable to locate startup disk.

What did I do wrong?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« file permissions? | How can I sort this problem out with disc »