New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Backing up -- Seriously

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Logan

So I've been running my mac for a little while now, but my big question I'm running into is how can I back things up in case of an emergency? I'm getting into my curious mode and I want to break some things...

So how does this sound:

Get Mac Mini. Boot it up in firewire mode. Plug it into another machine and transfer all data to a DVD.

Now of course the downside to this is if the parittion is jacked up that doubtfully would be transferred over with the rest of the information... but! I bought my mac mini as an original and so i can simply place my original Os x cd's into the drive, restore the partition, and then copy over my backup files. I have bootcamp though, so that means the partition wouldnt' match and be potential problems.

So anyways, is there a clonign software (not this half-done backup prefs and data files only type back) so I can ensure I will be able to restore my mac mini to as it is right NOW?

Thanks, I am really enjoying this but I really want to install some different distros on my mac mini, I just don't know a good way to partition the drive and bootcamp doesn't like linux!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

If you have two macs use the firewire method you mentioned but use Disk Utility on the other side to create an image of the Mac Partition. Them if the "S" hits "F" just use target disk mode again and use disk utility to restore the partition (image).
QUOTE Thanks
olias

olias is on a distinguished road

I bought a portable FW 300GB drive from Costco and use SuperDuper ---> http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html ...and it's bootable. This means holding down the option key at boot time allows you to boot from the back-up the you can dup it back to the harddrive.

A wise man realizes that he too is a fool and then humbles himself to learn that which is greater than he.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Another vote for superduper!

Full backups are free, you'll have to buy it for smart backups though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Sharing - So close | x.4.8 cursor problems »