New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Incredibly long boot times with 10.4.8/Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport

I'm not really sure if this should be here or in the hardware area, so apologies if it's out of place. The mods may move it as they see fit.

I upgraded to OS X 10.4.8 last night, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but now when I turn on my Mac Pro 2.66GhZ, it takes anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes for the firmware to intialise and bring up the Apple logo. All that time, I just get a blank white screen.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
QUOTE Thanks
UnaClocker

UnaClocker is on a distinguished road

My MiniMac did that last night.. G4 1.5GHz version.. Powered it up and it just sat there for almost a minute before finally popping up the boot logo.. Hopefully it was just a one time thing, I haven't rebooted since..
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
My MiniMac did that last night.. G4 1.5GHz version.. Powered it up and it just sat there for almost a minute before finally popping up the boot logo.. Hopefully it was just a one time thing, I haven't rebooted since..

It's happened a few time with me already now. The weird thing is, once or twice it started immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Well, now I am starting to get the question mark '?' icon on startup, like it can't find my OS X HD or the drive is corrupted or dead. I've checked OS X volume, verified the permissions, and so on and there are no problems, so I don't understand what could be going wrong. It must be that 10.4.8 update screwing something up.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

When you say checked, did you go to system preferences -> startup disk and reselect the boot folder?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
When you say checked, did you go to system preferences -> startup disk and reselect the boot folder?

I ran disk utility, verified the disk, verified disk permissions, checked the startup folder in the system preferences and re-selcted the OS X volume. Under the system profiler, all hardware including the hard disks and all RAM and peripherals are appearing as normal. I have no idea what the issue could be, other than the 10.4.8 update, which is when this all started happening.

I did have an idea this morning. I moved OS X onto a larger, 750GB hard drive that resides in the third drive bay. It was working fine for about a week or two before the 10.4.8 update. I wonder if 10.4.8 is expecting to see OS X in the first drive bay and that's what's causing the boot problems? When I get the opportunity, I will swap the drives around and see of that helps any.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Icon Views | Re-installing OSX »