New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - computer needs to restart?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bnice88

Hi, I have an ibook G3 (late 2001) I recently added 512MB ram for a total of 576MB. My computer was definitely running a lot better, but something odd has started happening, when the computer has been running for about 30-40 mminutes, a black box appears in the center of the screen saying that the computer needs to be restarted and that I should hold down the power button. This is crippling! Any ideas on what is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

msb86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200

Have you tried cleaning out your temp files? I was getting that error on my machine for a bit... I cleaned out all of my temps and the issue was resolved. Turns out that OS X is built of Unix, and Unix cleans its own temps out between the hours of 3am-5am. However, most of us don't leave our computers on at night and this clean up process does not get done. You can invoke it manually by going to the following link:

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

The other links are very helpful too. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Also it may be that your machine is getting to hot...do you have a lappy or desktop?

QUOTE Thanks
bnice88

Hi, thanks for your advice. I went to macattorny.com and followed some of their advice. Specifically, I did a safe boot, and I repaired disk permission and since then I haven't had any problems, thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

your problem is a kernel panic caused by bad ram, take the ram out and send it back, get it replaced with a different chip.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bnice88

Yeah, I've seen that kernel panic message before. For some reason though, the "needs to restart" message has stopped appearing. Is it possible for the problem to disappear or is it a ticking time-bomb?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4 issue | icon »