New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Changing folder image

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msb86

msb86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200

I tried changing the image of a folder as outlined at Mac101 but to no avail. The instructions can be found here:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/customize/6/

When I go to the image that I want to use, I will go to the info of the file but the icon at the top left corner is not the image that I want. Basically, I want to use the image that is in the preview as the image for my folder(s). I hope that makes sense... I know it is something silly but its something basic that I'd like to know how to do. Thanks in advance.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just recapping another how to do it here, try it and get back to us if it doesn't work:

1) Select image file you want to use.
2) Immediately hit Command+C to copy the image (no need to get info)
3) Select folder you want to paste the image onto.
4) Command+I to get info window for folder
5) Select current icon preview in top left corner of info window by clicking it once.
6) Hit Command+V to paste new image to folder.

(You may need to restart finder or log out to see certain changes such as the Dock or the sidebar).
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

Did not work... Instead of copying said image it copied over the default picture icon (Preview app icon on a blank page). Look similar to this:

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Try Pixadex. You should be able to drag the image in. Then you select it and go to File - Set as Custom Icon. Now you find the folder/app you want to change, highlight it and hit Set Icon.
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

anything that I could possibly be doing wrong? I followed all instructions exactly as stated lol. I'll give Pixadex a try, thanks mike!

QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Candybar
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

Third party is cool... but I should be able to do it w/o the help of third-party...

[edit]I went to Pixadex and Candybar...both you have to buy. I'm really trying to stay away from that.[/edit]

QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yup, I know the feeling and totally agree but I finally gave up after a while of trying to figure it out!
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

So I'm not the only one? Hmmm... Well its gotta be do-able because if apple is putting it on their website, nonetheless the 101 section, it should be very easy to do. I feel like such a n00b

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb86
I went to Pixadex and Candybar...both you have to buy. I'm really trying to stay away from that.
You should be able to do it with pixadex without having to pay for it. I think there are extra features you can use when you pay for it. I have been using it for a long time without needing to register.
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

I'll try to play around with it; maybe make up some icons. But this thing is still bothering me. Does anybodoy know how to set the icon(s) for pictures(s) to actually be the preview for the picture? I think that may be a resolution for my problem

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb86
Does anybodoy know how to set the icon(s) for pictures(s) to actually be the preview for the picture? I think that may be a resolution for my problem
In Finder, go to the View menu and select 'Show View Options' (or hit command + j). Then check the 'Show icon preview' option
QUOTE Thanks
msb86

thanks...

I did find a resolution to this problem. If I actually open the file copy the image, then paste it into the Get Info screen of the icon it works. Thanks for all of your help guys!!!!

QUOTE Thanks
KitaCat

KitaCat is on a distinguished road

There are few things that were missed on the posts that I read. I'll go step by step on how I just did it.

1)Open up image you want the folder to be in preview.
2)you can marquis-select the image by dragging out the dotted-line box from top-left corner to bottom right (click and drag); this also works if you just want to highlight a piece of the image to use
3)Command-C to copy
4)Highlight the folder you want to change and right-click to Get Info.
5)In the top of the box there is a tiny folder icon; click on it and press Command-V to paste.

The other instructions that I read just said to "Select the image and Command-C" but if you follow that to the letter, it doesn't work. This way I know works 100%. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Erick The Great

Erick The Great is on a distinguished road

How To Change A Folders Picture

I finally got this to work and I just wanted to reiterate a few things others have said.

1. You must open the image you are going to use for your new folder icon, and by open it.. double click on it.

2. Now go to edit and click on copy... command C didn't do it... don't ask me why.

3. Now click on the folder you want to change the image on, command I it, then click once on the image in the top left hand corner and command V.

4. The key here is that the image must be opened up and then copied. In so many forums people were telling me to just click on the image and command C it.... this as you know is crap info....

Hope this helps clear up a very important issue... ****, now my movie folder can look like a movie folder and not a POS...
Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I install Skype as "Standard user" on Mavericks? | Single Finger swipe not working with Mavericks »