New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Apple Mail Sorting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

josephry

I am signed up on a ListServ mailing list that functions almost like a forum, every single response is sent to every single member so that everyone can be involved in the conversation. This is how it is supposed to function, but I do not like 20+ emails from the group going straight into my inbox a day. I have a smart folder that it all goes into, but is there a way that I can set it up so that it goes only into the folder and doesn't clutter up my general inbox? Thanks

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephry
I am signed up on a ListServ mailing list that functions almost like a forum, every single response is sent to every single member so that everyone can be involved in the conversation. This is how it is supposed to function, but I do not like 20+ emails from the group going straight into my inbox a day. I have a smart folder that it all goes into, but is there a way that I can set it up so that it goes only into the folder and doesn't clutter up my general inbox? Thanks

Joe
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you use the rules from the preferences menu of Mail. When you make the rule you can give it a color as well as other types of options. One of them is "move to" instead of "copy to" which is what it sounds like you are using. Let me know if works out.

Cheers,

James
QUOTE Thanks
josephry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgaines
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you use the rules from the preferences menu of Mail. When you make the rule you can give it a color as well as other types of options. One of them is "move to" instead of "copy to" which is what it sounds like you are using. Let me know if works out.

Cheers,

James
What I had been initially hoping for was a way for the mail to avoid the INBOX alltogether and simply be placed in the smart folder. However, with the rules menu I was able to mark all of that mail as read and flag it, so that it is placed in my inbox discreetly (no NEW MESSAGE alert) and marked so I can erase it or move it). Thanks.

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can create a new mail box and then create a rule to move the in coming mail to be placed in that new mail box. As was suggested above. You will not see the mail in you inbox, but the folder.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thumbnails not showing in File-Open dialog | Mail problem »