New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - ichat disconnects me from AIM after sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pmwalker82

pmwalker82 is on a distinguished road

For some reason ichat keeps disconnecting me from AIM when my macbook goes into sleep mode and then when I try to log back in it won't let me and will say "lost connection unexpectadley" so I have to restart the computer and hope it works. For some reason this only happens after the hard drive has gone into sleep mode so I turned sleep off and things are fine but I don't want to have to keep it like this. Can someone please help. Also, in case it is important I use a netgear wireless router, I don't think that should matter though.
QUOTE Thanks
pmwalker82

Please......anyone......i Need Your Help!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When a computer goes to sleep, all programs are put to sleep so they cease to work till you wake it up.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If I do this,

Sleeping iMac - Necessary?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pmwalker82

Yes, I read this, however my problem is a little different. I cannot log back into AIM from a sleep, ichat will keep disconnecting me saying "lost connection unexpectadley" and will do that 6, 7,8 .....etc.....times until I just restart the computer. I shouldn't have to restart the computer every time I want to log back into ichat. I should be able to get back in straight from sleep mode.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Check iChat prefs for some clue, can't think of anything else.....do you have dial-up or broadband.....don't know if it makes any diff just figuring...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is your Internet connection? DSL? Cable? How is the Mac hooked to the net? Does the WEB and Email come back after sleep or is it just iChat? I sleep my macs all the time and everything comes back right away. Sounds like the internet is not coming back up to me anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
pmwalker82

No, everything comes back right away except ichat. I have a wireless router connected to a cable modem. Again, it is only ichat.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You might need to poke around in the cable modems prefs...if that's at all possible.....I say this because I have DSL.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If it's only iChat, then something is messed up with it. If the Internet comes back up after sleep, then so should ichat. You might use Spotlight and look for the .plist file for iChat and zap that. You will have to re-enter all your settings, but it might work. If not, I am at a loss as I have never seen that happen.
QUOTE Thanks
KATHRYN421

KATHRYN421 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
If it's only iChat, then something is messed up with it. If the Internet comes back up after sleep, then so should ichat. You might use Spotlight and look for the .plist file for iChat and zap that. You will have to re-enter all your settings, but it might work. If not, I am at a loss as I have never seen that happen.
Im having the same problem....only ichat and only after I upgraded to mountain lion
QUOTE Thanks
KATHRYN421

KATHRYN421 is on a distinguished road

Well I fixed the issue on my iMac....If you go to system preferences and then to mail, contacts and calendars. In the left hand window you will see your accounts (iCloud, gmail....). Make sure you do not have a 'messages' account active with a 'mail' account that merges itself with messages. I had this and there was a login conflict once the computer went to sleep. Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Renaming user account short name. | "Preview" app »