New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - I have no BSD Subsystem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glascarian

glascarian is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a re-conditioned imac which came complete with Panther already installed on it. My problem is when I tried to install my Speedtouch modem for my broadband - the computer wont recognise the modem! I've since found out that this is due to the fact that my BSD subsystem is missing (as it's an optional installation element it hasn't been installed). I've tried to contact the store I bought the mac from to get them to put it on for me as I don't have the original install discs but they seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth for the past couple of weeks (they are opening a new store in Newcastle).

So my question is this - I have the original install disc for system 10.0.3 - would it be a very bad idea to attempt to install the BSD subsystem from this disc onto a machine running system 10.3??

Any help and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

That's a really strange omission to make. Certainly installing the 10.0 BSD subsystem into 10.3 sounds like a really bad idea. According to the Apple support pages, installing the BSD subsystem requires reinstalling the whole OS, using Archive + Install to keep hold of the old one if necessary.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151604
QUOTE Thanks
glascarian

glascarian is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think it's a bad idea to install the BDS subsystem from an older Mac OS system - guess I was grasping at straws there!

I do believe though it is possible and indeed fairly straightforward to install the BSD subsystem onto your Mac OS system if it hasn't been originally installed - assuming of course you have the original installation discs. As I don't I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can get a hold of someone at the store I bought the computer from which is highly frustrating!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just Bought a Mac | iBook G4 keeps hopping networks »