New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - i hate it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

heskemo

I have this problem already.. but dont blame me, I am a windows guy and i just switched to mac.. I discovered that the trackpad still has that stupid acceleration in MACOSX 10.4 intel based-duo. I also have another problem which i have found out that the performance is not as strong as windows. I tried to run flashplayer 8.0 on my machine, and it was awful, it hung me to death. I dont if there is some CPU performance adjustment ulilities that could help me.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Return that thing and get a Dell. They're priced to sell!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
heskemo

I love the fact that mac has a great graphic performance on OSX, but somehow it kills my sense of controlling the arrows. does it has any secret configuration that i can do on terminal?? I need some postive suggestion, not returning them, but know how to use it wisely.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

you can control the speed of the cursor in system preferences -> mouse

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by heskemo
I have this problem already.. but dont blame me, I am a windows guy and i just switched to mac....
Nobody is blaming you for anything. :black:
However, Mac OS is not for everybody. There is no shame or foul made if you return the computer you just bought.
Quote:
i have found out that the performance is not as strong as windows.
You are correct... at least according to your personal experience. You admitted that you are a "Windows guy". You are more comfortable using Windows and therefore a new OS will not seem "as strong" at first... maybe it never will. It may be that a Mac is not the best choice of computer for YOU. Again, nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
I need some postive suggestion, not returning them, but know how to use it wisely.
If you don't want to return it and you really do want to learn Macs, then the best advice I can give you is the same advice I give to any new Mac user.

Forget EVERYTHING you know about Windows. Don't compare Mac OS to Windows in any way, shape or form. Start from scratch and learn Mac as if you never used a computer before. Until you do, you are only going to have a difficult time getting the hang of the new OS.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
I have this problem already.. but dont blame me, I am a windows guy and i just switched to mac.. I discovered that the trackpad still has that stupid acceleration in MACOSX 10.4 intel based-duo. I also have another problem which i have found out that the performance is not as strong as windows. I tried to run flashplayer 8.0 on my machine, and it was awful, it hung me to death. I dont if there is some CPU performance adjustment ulilities that could help me.
You need to tell us how much memory your Mac has installed.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Flash sucks because it's running through the Rosetta emulator. Until they produce an Intel version (spring 07 maybe), you'll have to suffer.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually you can already download a flash universal binary:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...latform=MacOSX
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

That's Flash Player, not Flash I think.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I thought that's what he's trying to run...
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

You might not have to suffer too long, I believe 10.4.8 (the next release of Tiger) contains "significant" performance improvements for Rosetta, so non-Universal Binary apps should be much quicker
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Quote:
how many bounces does it take to start an app? you're running basically prototype technology (intel chips for macs isn't like intel chips for windows, where they have been developed and written for it since day 1). Could be universal binary, could be OS performance.

Heck, may want to check your exhaust area of your MacBook (Guessing MacBook due to the trackball) and make sure you don't have plastic covering the exhaust and overheating the chip.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

^You are incorrect, OSX has been designed for intel x86 processors since its introduction. They chose never to divulge this information until they announced the switch.
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredfield
^You are incorrect, OSX has been designed for intel x86 processors since its introduction. They chose never to divulge this information until they announced the switch.
Ah, cool. Well regardless, even if the OS was designed for it, why is all software having to do a "universal binary" update to support the different types of processors out there? Software seems to be written for PPC (G# processors), and has to be changed for Intel (hence the universal to give both processors what they need to run the app). So even if the OS was ready for x86 processors there's still a big move on the software department.

I was mainly just implying he should check out if he's running Rosetta or universal binaries.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Because there are years and years of PPC Macs. Apple not going to DUMP those users into the street with no support. That is why they are doing the Universal apps. Most applications are universal, just Microsoft and Adobe and a few others that are not made by Apple. I for one am Gratefull to apple for supporting their not very old G4 and G5 machines.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X won't boot after system update | Setting default programs access defaults »