New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Do you really have to pay for point releases?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Hi.

I'm currently a windows/Linux user looking to make the change, I'm really close, but there are a few things that make me step back and have another think about it before getting the credit card out.

Perhaps I don't fully understand what I've read from a selection of web sites, if so, please correct me.

From what I understand, each version of OS X carries a full price. There may be upgrade prices, I've not really checked, to be honest I had imagined that each X.x release would be just something you downloaded, much similar to the SP1 & SP2 of Windows.

I now belive that should I buy a MacBook now with 10.5 on it, then in a few months, 10.6 is released, I would have to pay for this upgrade.

I understand the Windows SPs tend to be fixes rather than innovations, but still, it does seem a little better economic sense to only buy an OS upgrade once every 5 years (maybe XP has been out a little longer than planned...)

Do I understand things correctly?

Thanks for any info here.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Each release is few and far between. Within each release they have revisions like the current version is 10.4.7. It is not just like a service pack in XP, each version of OS X carries loads of new features. If you bought a macbook now it would have 10.4 on it, Leopard will be 10.5.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

OK, right now the most recent version is 10.4.7 To upgrade to 10.4.8 would be like windows releasing their free upgrades. To upgrade to 10.5 would be like upgrading from windows xp to vista: you have to pay for this upgrade. OS 10.5 is projected to be released in Spring of '07. They won't release 10.6 within a few months, most likely it will be a few years after 10.5 before that is released.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Missing memory? | How to delete old OS »