New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Proper way to delete user accounts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

silverr

silverr is on a distinguished road

I'm just coming from a windows computer and I'm wondering if there is a Proper way to delete some user accounts on my mac?

Is it as easy as just dragging the folder of their user account to the trash bin? I want to get rid of all the accounts except mine.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

2. Select Accounts.

3. Select the name of the user you wish to delete, under the list of accounts, click - (the minus sign).

4. The files and directories will be moved to the /Users/Deleted Users/ folder; you may retrieve them from there and delete them or move them to your own account if you wish.

5. Click Delete or OK to complete the deletion of the user account. To delete the account without saving the user's files and directories, click Delete Immediately.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
simonemarie

simonemarie is on a distinguished road

I am also trying to do this. The (-) sign to delete the account is greyed out. The lock at the bottom is unlocked and it clearly shows that I have the admin rights on the account. How can I get it to let me delete it...will it not let you delete the admin account? Thanks so much if someone can help me!
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

if you are going to delete and admin acount you need to set another account as admin.

Set your account as admin and then delete the other one.
QUOTE Thanks
krrinngy

krrinngy is on a distinguished road

I m the main administrator on my imac. I have an account for my partner and also a guest account which was being used very briefly by a friend which I now want to delete. When I go to "system preferences" I only have the option to delete my partners account but not the guest??? Does anybody have a suggestion how to go forward!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're talking about the default Guest account, you can't delete it. You can only enable or disable it and that is done from the menu inside the Guest account. You'll need to click on the lock at the bottom to unlock it to get access to it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
elefantes

elefantes is on a distinguished road

Hi. I am trying to erase an old admin account and although the lock is unlocked and I have a new admin account the minus (-) appears grey as well as the user that I want to erase. Please help me!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Which account are you loafed into when you try this? If you are in the old account try logging into the other one first and delete the old account from there.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
elefantes

elefantes is on a distinguished road

Yes, I was on my new account and still the old one is grey.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth file transfer...help needed | New MBP - no Lion disc and reboot »