Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   error messages (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/40676-error-messages.html)

stevenyc 08-31-2006 04:53 PM

error messages

Is there a way to get more information when a program crashes instead of just being told that it "unexpectedly quit" because of an "unknown error"?

surfwax95 08-31-2006 05:03 PM

Open the application called "Console" in your Apps>Utilities folder.

stevenyc 09-19-2007 10:59 AM

Unknown Errors

Are all errors on a Mac "unknown"? I've yet to see one that isn't. What does that even mean?

mac57 09-19-2007 12:31 PM

Hi Stevenyc, could you post a particular example? Personally, I haven't seen such a thing before. If you can let us know more about your system, and what you were trying to do when you got this error, and the error itself, we may be able to lend a hand!

stevenyc 09-20-2007 11:17 AM

It's not one thing in particular. Everytime something crashes on one of my Macs, the error is <unknown>. Is this the equivalent of the General Protection Fault error?

cwa107 09-20-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenyc (Post 488388)
It's not one thing in particular. Everytime something crashes on one of my Macs, the error is <unknown>. Is this the equivalent of the General Protection Fault error?

Hard to say, this is akin to calling your mechanic and saying "I have a car and it is broken - what's wrong"? You've given us absolutely nothing to go on...

It would help to have the circumstances during which one of the problems occurs (just take one, repeatable incident for an example). What programs are running at the time and what version of Mac OS it's running? If you can't do that, even a screen shot would be helpful.

I have yet to see an error message that says "error unknown" in my own experience.

MacHeadCase 09-20-2007 06:07 PM

All errors I've had have a description of what is the problem or could be related to it. Like the others I never saw this error is <unknown> message.

stevenyc 09-20-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 488412)
You've given us absolutely nothing to go on...

That's my problem. Illustrator, Photoshop, Office , Itunes, Finder, etc... on laptops and g5's running 10.3 and 10.4, the errors are always "unknown" so I have nothing to go on. What log should I be checking?

hotdog182 09-20-2007 07:08 PM

I'd re-install OS X

mac57 09-20-2007 07:20 PM

Can you give a simple example? For example:

I start Photoshop, I open a file, I invoke this action and I get this error message... that sort of an example.

If it is happening randomly, on all programs, you have a serious hardware fault. My guess would be a bad RAM chip, but it could be almost anything - chip failure on motherboard, power supply issues, corruption on your hard drive... no matter what, if it is random, it sounds like hardware.

johnnyluu 09-20-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenyc (Post 487757)
Are all errors on a Mac "unknown"? I've yet to see one that isn't. What does that even mean?

I know what you mean, I've had a few of those.

Either that or an error code that means nothing to anyone than OS X developers!

rman 09-20-2007 09:11 PM

Are you loading these applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, Office , Itunes) from the same media? Are all of these application on one DVD?