New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - Upgrade from 10.2.4 to 10.3??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WestEnd

Hi, I have an iBook G3 with 10.2.4 on it. I want to upgrade it to 10.3 so that I can connect it wireless with DWL-G122 adapter. How can I go about this, can I download something from apple or do I have to buy something?

Please, any advise is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Mac OSX 10.3 is called Panther. You have 10.2 Jaguar. Panther is a newer version of OSX. You will have to buy it, but since it's now a couple of years old or more, you will have to find it used. I would suggest Ebay. I have seen Boxed 10.3 Panther OSX's for under $50.

Hope that helps. It will install and upgrade your Jaguar to Panther.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Once you have upgraded your system to 10.3 then you will need the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9, to bring your system to 10.3.9. Which is the last update to OS X 10.3.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz

Upgrading from 10.2 Jaguar to 10.3 Panther is a really good choice. A couple months ago I upgraded to Panther, & my only regret is that I didn't do so sooner. You will love the new Finder, & Expose'. The new Finder is cool because I spend less time burrowing thru levels of folders. Expose' is useful when I have a number of applications or windows open. Being able to use Quicktime 7 is a good reason also for upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks
WestEnd

How much ram do I need for 10.3? This older iBook that I aquired very cheap only has 96 ram. I don't know if that is extremely small for mac, or agerage for this age. All I want this computer for is pretty much internet and email. I have a PC for all other needs. Maybe down the road, my next computer will be a mac if I really like it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz

For email, & internet you should be ok with 256 MB of ram total. Panther uses ram fairly efficiantly. Which iBook G3 do you have? If you're not sure you can follow this link here: http://www.lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html to find out. The webpage lists specs for both iBooks & Powerbooks, just scroll the page down to the iBooks section. After determining what iBook you have, finding the ram you need should be easier. If you have any trouble finding some let me know, & i'll see if i can find someplace that sells it for a reasonable price.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hide my ip | Problem watching streaming videos »