New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Cutting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

This is probably really stupid. But is there a way to 'cut' files? I have no issue copying, but in order to 'move' a file, I've always opened two finder windows and dragged the file.

If I select a file(s) and click 'edit' in the toolbar, 'cut' is not a possible options. Right clicking only gives me 'Copy'.

There must be an easier way..
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

As said Here, just hold the command key while dragging and dropping the files.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you are looking to cut n paste files within a single Finder window, a la CTL-X, CTL-V on Windows, this just isn't supported. Sometimes you can achieve a similar result by putting your Finder Window into list mode, and then dragging the file between folders that are also visible in the same window. This only works however when the destination folder is in near proximity to the source folder for the file. Other than that, it is two windows and drag.

You may wish to look at a Finder replacement for File Manager, perhaps a good two pane file manager where you have direct "move" vs. "copy" commands. I know that there are several of them out there. Can anyone suggest their favorite?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

It's not like they've never thought about it though. 'Cut' is an option in the 'edit' menu, it's just never a possible option, is always blanked out.

Looks like 'mv' in terminal is the easiest way :/
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here is the situation, drag and drop is a move (mv) operation when you are working on the same partition. When you are working woth two different partitions it, become a copy. I believe the reasoning for that is, if something happens during the operation, then you will not lose the original data. if something were to happen during a move operation, then your data would be corrupted.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mount network drive automatically on login? | Weird permissions problems. »