New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - new apple: data migration?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

OK so I have a new Mac Pro ordered.

I remember when I setup my powerbook for the first time it saying something about you can transfer files from your old Apple to the new one during setup. I'm just curious how this works when you do this. I'm assuming you use a firewire or USB cable, so I'll have to go buy one I'm guessing?

Also, does this just copy documents and music and stuff, or applications and preferences as well.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

If you want to copy files, I suggest you go and buy an External Hard Drive, it's extremely easy and really fast. If you want to use Apple's migratory service, you need to buy a Firewire cable, both can be found at any apple store.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Yeah I've already got an external HD which I've been using to make backups once a week ever since my original powerbook drive failed. I just didn't know if the built-in service was any better.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Hi, I found this info:

If you want to transfer files or documents to or from your MacBook Pro, there are several ways of doing it.
-You can easily transfer files using Migration Assistant and a FireWire cable (sold separately). You can also connect to another Mac using a FireWire cable and start up your MacBook Pro in FireWire Target Disk Mode. Your MacBook Pro appears as a hard disk on the other computer and you can drag files to it.

-If you have an external hard disk drive, iPod, flash drive, or other data storage device that connects through a USB or FireWire cable, you can use it to transfer files.

-If you have an email connection, you can email your files to another computer.

-If you register for a .Mac account from Apple (fees apply), you can use it to transfer files. With a .Mac account, you get an iDisk, which provides Internet space for backing up and storing files so that other computers can access the files you transfer there.

-If the other computer has a recordable optical drive, you can transfer files that you have recorded on a CD or DVD disc.

-If you connect your computer to a network using Ethernet, you can transfer files to another computer on a network. You can access a server or another computer by clicking Network in the Finder sidebar, or by choosing Go > Connect to Server from the menu bar.

-You can create a small Ethernet network by connecting an Ethernet cable from your MacBook Pro to another computer’s Ethernet port. After you’re connected, you can transfer files directly from one computer to the other.

-You can connect to an AirPort Extreme wireless network to transfer files.

-If you have access to devices that communicate using Bluetooth wireless technology, you can transfer files to other Bluetooth equipped devices.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screenshot trouble | is this possible? »