New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Defragging?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacJuggernaut

MacJuggernaut is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM

I am obsessed with keeping my mac clean and running as smoothly as possible. I have Onyx and a few other programs like that, but I'm not sure if they do everything I need. I would like to defrag my mac, but I'm not sure how necessary it is (if it does it itself or something like that). The only program that I've heard of that does this is iDefrag. I was wondering if that is the best program available and if there is maybe a free alternative.

I know this has to have been discussed before, so just point me to that thread if anyone knows where it is.

Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJuggernaut
I know this has to have been discussed before, so just point me to that thread if anyone knows where it is.

Thanks for any help!
Yes, it has been discussed before. You can find all of those threads using this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Apple says there is little to no need for defraging. See

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacJuggernaut

MacJuggernaut is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM

Thanks guys. I thought I didn't really need to, but I was unsure.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i use tech tool pro to defrag every 2-3 months, and when i do, i notice considerable performance increases
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace3054
i use tech tool pro to defrag every 2-3 months, and when i do, i notice considerable performance increases
we need benchmark tests!!!!!!!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Anil_robo

Anil_robo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
we need benchmark tests!!!!!!!
-chris
So who's gonna do it?

[Not me: I don't have any benchmarking softwares!]
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil_robo
So who's gonna do it?

[Not me: I don't have any benchmarking softwares!]
the person who actually defrags is going to do it
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

k ill wait a few months since i just got this, then right before i do it ill benchmark

does anyone know if xbench is accurate with the intel macs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

My question has always been is XBench an accurate benchmark on any Mac? Please no bad rep from xbench people. I have little respect for most static benchmarks and Xbench changes every time I run it.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I have TechTool Pro (came with AppleCare) but am not sure how to defrag (though I don't want to as I don't need to, plus it's quite pointless) and I don't know of any benchmarking software.

So I could in theory do it, but don't feel like it.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
I have TechTool Pro (came with AppleCare) but am not sure how to defrag (though I don't want to as I don't need to, plus it's quite pointless) and I don't know of any benchmarking software.

So I could in theory do it, but don't feel like it.

apple care comes with tech tool not tech tool pro

dtravis, i agree when i used to run it on my powerbook, i get significantly different results sometimes within seconds of other tests, i would normally do 10 or so and average them... im not sure of any other cheap alternatives though, so we might be stuck with it
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
My question has always been is XBench an accurate benchmark on any Mac? Please no bad rep from xbench people. I have little respect for most static benchmarks and Xbench changes every time I run it.
Xbench is not accurate.. there have been times that my powerbook has beat my powermac quad.. the powerbook as 1 gig of ram, a screwy hard drive that needs to be fixed, and is a g4 1.5 ghz, the power mac how ever is 4 g5's 4 gigs of ram, and 2 sata drives... There is no way that the powerbook should win, even if it was only once, that was once to many for me to ever trust the results from xbench.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
Xbench is not accurate.. there have been times that my powerbook has beat my powermac quad.. the powerbook as 1 gig of ram, a screwy hard drive that needs to be fixed, and is a g4 1.5 ghz, the power mac how ever is 4 g5's 4 gigs of ram, and 2 sata drives... There is no way that the powerbook should win, even if it was only once, that was once to many for me to ever trust the results from xbench.

dang that is crazy, i wouldnt trust them either if i got those kind of results
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password problems | install problems »