New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Comatose iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I put my iMac to sleep last night and this morning, no matter what I've done, it is in a deep coma.

I've tried:
Tapping Power button once.
Force shutdown.
Pressing Apple S while jiggling mouse.
Jiggled mouse.
Tapped numerous keys.
Powered off and moved iMac to another room.
Unplugged all unnecessary peripherals.
Does this look like my iMac is off to the Apple store again???

Already had new Logic Board and Screen on a 8mth old iMac G5.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Interesting, does the light (the light that looks like the imac is breathing) on the whole time?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
Interesting, does the light (the light that looks like the imac is breathing) on the whole time?
Hi PowerBookG4, thanks for your post.

Yep, the light is on and pulsing. If I tap the PowerButton the HD starts up and the light goes off, then returns to breathing mode, and nothing but a black screen stares at me.

Just then when I was trying to revive it for the umpteenth time without luck,I held the PowerButton for 4secs to force it to power down, the fan went mental and made such a noise so I held the PowerButton for another 4secs and it shutdown properly.

I need my iMac daily and the AppleStore take weeks to fix it. The withdrawal symptoms are not a pretty sight! And my PC is no iMac G5 either!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

The computer only acts funny when putting it to sleep? Or does it have any symptoms when its awake?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

force restart?

openapple-control-powerbutton simoultaneusly...
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

last resort: unplug, wait 5 minutes, turn back on.....it is the 'force re-start for crazy people'

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

eon. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
last resort: unplug, wait 5 minutes, turn back on.....it is the 'force re-start for crazy people'

-chris

I think he's tried that already

-"Powered off and moved iMac to another room."

That's really weird that it just won't turn on anymore, maybe the screen went bad? Do you hear any sounds? Does it make the start-up chime at all?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Thanks for your posts PowerBookG4, macAttack, coach_z and eon,

I can't get it to boot at all, I've tried all your suggestions and all I get is a slight whirring sound near the Disc Drive Slot and the sound of the fan starting. The whirring sound quits after about 3 secs and the powerlight either pulses or doesn't come on at all.

Prior to this I had no problemos at all with putting it to sleep or waking it up.

I did have a major problem 3 days ago which has since been rectified.

X11 (needed before OpenOffice.Org will launch) malfunctioned and even when reinstalled from my Tiger disc still refused to work.

My iMac continued functioning throughout this, I just couldn't finish the doc I was creating using OOo.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
force restart?

openapple-control-powerbutton simoultaneusly...
What do you mean by openapple?

I tried option-apple-control-powerbutton simultaneously and this is what happened:

The iMac was on but nothing was working, no display, no light on bottom right of panel, slight fan sound and maybe whirring, then I pressed the above combo option-apple-control-powerbutton....and it put the iMac to sleep with the pulsing light.

I tried to wake it up but still nothing???
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Try looking at these:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30376

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

sorry, by open apple i mean the button to the direct left of the spacebar. Sounds like your computer could be completely dead, be it power supply (unlikely) motherboard (perhaps) hard drive (maybe) and possibly many other things...
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
sorry, by open apple i mean the button to the direct left of the spacebar. Sounds like your computer could be completely dead, be it power supply (unlikely) motherboard (perhaps) hard drive (maybe) and possibly many other things...
Thanks macAttack, I just dropped my iMac off for repair. They mentioned faulty backlight initially but my main concern is how long they'll have it for.....I'm missing it already!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Keep us posted on it if you would. You sure have had a lot of problems in a short time. I have an iMac G5 2.1 and so far solid. Maybe you got a defective machine. I am sure they will take care of it for you.

I would really miss mine if it was gone.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Will do dtravis7.

My 1 year warranty expires at the end of Oct and I really need the AppleCare Extended Warranty.

The only thing is that I'm cash strapped with a huge winter power bill just in.

I'll have to pay it off as the way my machine has been going I'd be insane not to protect my asset!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is Spotlight so useless? | intel imac wont stay awake !! »