New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook - Unable to Shutdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SmokingFetus

SmokingFetus is an unknown at this point

Picked up a G4 PB last Nov. Been great, but having a little problem.

I am unable to shutdown through the OS. When I hit the power button nothing happens, no menu asking to shutdown or sleep. When I select shutdown from the apple menu nothing happens. Even after a software update and selecting shutdown from there nothing happens.

I can shutdown by holding down the power button, but I am under the assumption that it is not the best thing for my beloved machine.

Anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What happens when you open up ther terminal window and execute the following command.

sudo shutdown

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

It asks for my password and after putting that in I get this.

"usage: shutdown [-] [-h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...]"
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Sorry forgot to give you the options.

sudo shutdown -h now

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

Thanks for that command line, it got it to shutdown. Still a little new to the terminal, but do know a lil bit.

Any ideas on what may have caused this inability to shutdown threw the GUI?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

The next thing I would do is to use the disk utility application and repair permissions.

We now know that the shutdown command is not corrupted.

QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

Have tried that already, a couple of times since this started. (Can you repair permissions too much? I don't think so, but thought I should ask.)
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I have no clue, what is going on. If you have AppleCare, I would call Apple and see what they suggest. If you don't then I would make a back up of the system. Then do a clean install.

Hopefully someone else will come along, with a suggestion.

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Maybe the actual NIB file is broken, thus making the actual GUI button useless...

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
SmokingFetus

I have yet to purchase Applecare, but I still have 4 months.

I need to take it to an apple store anyway to get a key replaced. Let me say I am very nervous when my wife uses this machine now.

After I get a reason/solution from Apple I will post it if anyone is still interested.

Thanks for all the help so far (especially from rman). This is a great community and have learned a ton in the few months I have been coming.
QUOTE Thanks
helduck

you also have the option of using the short cut keys to shut down your Mac.

command, control and option/alt three fingers on your left hand and with your right hit the eject button. voila. nifty system shutdown
QUOTE Thanks
appatight

appatight is on a distinguished road

you dont want to be screwing around with permissions. But depends what folders you are giving permissions to. not 100% sure but I think most folders are set to a symbolic value of 744. Wow it's amazing how much I forgot unix.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem on MAC OS, kernel_task process | Restart problem »