New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Sharing internet connection with XP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rs0728

Hello...

I am in need of assistance please.

I have a powerpc G5 with OS 10.4.7. It has airport wireless installed.

I connect to the internet via a linksys router, that is connected to a cable modem, which is located on another floor in my home. The connection is terrible most of the time.

In the same room as my mac, I have a pc with windows xp installed which connects to the same router and the connection is excellent, all the time.

My question is this. Can I disable Airport on the mac and then network the Mac to my PC and share the internet connection with the PC? Would that give me a better connection?
If so, how do I go about doing this?

Do I connect the Mac and Pc directly together with a simple ethernet cable>? Or do I connect them together through a router?

Any help or advice in this area is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I hope I am making sense...
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

If both are running wirelessly you could run them off the same wireless signal. That's what I did, until I figured that a direct Ethernet (from Cable Modem) would be faster, and wired my iMac. But running them both wirelessly would work fine.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
rs0728

Well right now they are both running wireless and connect to the router. Are you saying I can make my Mac share my PC's wireless signal? If so, do you know how?
QUOTE Thanks
daniel-osx

daniel-osx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7

Are you just having low connection strength and that is making the connection poor? I have an XP that I have directly connect to an iBook running 10.4.7 via firewire and I have about the same trouble but if I use a standard ethernet I seem to have no problems. The ethernet cable should fix your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Well... you can share your internet connection with XP, by going to...
System Preferences/sharing/internet
click what you will be sharing through and sharing from
click start
QUOTE Thanks
rs0728

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-osx
Are you just having low connection strength and that is making the connection poor? I have an XP that I have directly connect to an iBook running 10.4.7 via firewire and I have about the same trouble but if I use a standard ethernet I seem to have no problems. The ethernet cable should fix your problem.
Well the Mac has a low connection strength with airport wireless, and the pc with XP has a good wireless connection to my router...

Currently I Have them connected via an ethernet cable, and I have XP setup to allow internet sharing.

I would like to now have the my Mac share the XP wireless connection to the internet. This is where I am lost. I do not know how to access XP from my mac to share the internet...

I tried the GO/Connect to server from my mac, and I keep getting an error 36 cannot complete the operation...

Completely confused ..

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate your time and help.

If I cant get this to work, I just may have to break down and get my own cable modem/ISP account, and connect the Mac directly to the Modem..
QUOTE Thanks
daniel-osx

daniel-osx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7

I have the exact setup at home since I have no wireless card in my iBook. Do you have the wireless connection internet sharing allowed or the local area connection? Make sure the wireless is shared on the pc and that is all I have to do. Then the Mac is ready to go.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-osx

could it be a physical issue with the wireless in your mac? if the pc works fast, its not the router.

i have a d link with a mac and two pc's connecting to it wirelessly and everything is nice and fast.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help!!! | Why is Spotlight so useless? »