New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problem with file copying to USB/FIRE Wire drive!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Design Agent

Design Agent is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am a motion graphic designer and I rendered a huge movie file (15GB). The problem is that now I can't get that out of my computer. I have Intel mac (MacbookPro) and I have tried to copy the file to USB and FireWire external drive, but everytime i try to do so I get an error saying that it couldn't complete copying the file in about half way.

This is pretty annoying and I have the same problem with my other computer which is minimac.... Does anyone have any idea?? Please help! many many thanks in advance.

Design Agent
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

How is the external formatted?

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Design Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
How is the external formatted?
How do you check what format the external disk is? Sorry for the super newbie question....

many thanks,

design agent
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you have the external HD formatted with FAT32. FAT32 partitions have a file size limit of 4GB. I suspect that is why your copy fails. If you use this external disk only on Macs, you may want to reformat it with HFS+ file system (the Mac native system). If you need to use this drive on Windows machines as well...you could use a ZIP program to split the file into <4GB size files.

To check the file system in use, right-click the drive icon and select "get info." I believe that will tell you (I'm new to Macs, so I don't have it all memorized yet and I'm not near one to verify that statement).
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Select the drive and hit 'Command + I' (apple+I) to bring up the info window.

Check under format. (Mac OS Extended means HFS+, MS-Dos means FAT32).
QUOTE Thanks
Design Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Select the drive and hit 'Command + I' (apple+I) to bring up the info window.

Check under format. (Mac OS Extended means HFS+, MS-Dos means FAT32).
Thank you! i just checked two of my externl drives and the are both FAT32. I had no idea.... I am trying to move all the files to my mini mac and will format the disk. Can you please please let me know how to format the external disks on OSX? (I have also recently switched to Mac from Dell

many thanks,

design agent
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Open the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities. The external drive will show up there and you can format it. Higlight the drive and select the Erase Tab.
He is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1jpg.jpg (49.6 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Erase using dtravis' advice and format it to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Design Agent

Thank you for the suggestions. Since I don't have enough space in neither of the two drives I ordered one more external hard drive and I am waiting for it now.

Design Agent
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« digital camera issue | New App Can't Find libresolv.9.dylib »