New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Authenticate admin username password - Automatically ??? How ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BaLLZaCH

Hello again,

I didn't know how to even begin seaching fot this, but when you, say, add or delete a application in Utilities, OSX wants AUTHENTICATION, you must Authinticate to continue, every time.

I searched Mac help, and it basically says that this is just "The way it is, for security reasons"

Well I think that is just redculous.

I have tried enabling administration privilages to the users, adding the users to the keychain (worth a shot), and enabling ROOT. I even tried loggin into different accounts in the console. No luck, obviously.

Is there a way to change this ?

I mean, don't you find it a bit idiotic to have to re-enter your password after you already LOGGEN IN ??? I mean, DUHH.

If I could, I would remove every peice of security junk on here, its worthless to an experienced user... But just removing the authinticate password would be a good start :-)
Any ideas ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You only have to enter your password to delete utilities if you aren't logged in as an admin.

Make sure the 'This user can administrator the computer' box is ticked in the 'users' system preferences and the problem should be fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
BaLLZaCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
You only have to enter your password to delete utilities if you aren't logged in as an admin.

Make sure the 'This user can administrator the computer' box is ticked in the 'users' system preferences and the problem should be fixed.

Like I said above, yes, the 'allow user to administrate' is checked.

This does not fix the authentication problem. I still have to do it. (When removing, I have not tried installing)

But reguardless, is there a way to auto-authenicate ?

Is there a way to have 2 "root" users ?

I tell ya what, I'll never switch to Mac OSX, not outright anyway. what a joke.
Thank for the help !!!

(Go ahead, hammer me, yes I said OSX is a JOKE.)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well since OS X uses a Unix-style based privilege system that has been used in Linux and other Unix based OS's for many many years, the issues you are having must be due to user error.

Have you tried repairing disk permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich

Not 100% true. Every-time I restart my Quad (not very often mind you) and I open Safari or Mail, I have to provide my password for keychain to get my info.

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

BallZach, while you may hate having to authenticate yourself to do certain things to your computer, consider the alternative. Windows doesn't ask for any authentication when an admin is logged in, and as a result has caused a MASSIVE global support problem. Even Vista is moving the the 'authenticate each time' system like OS X and other *nix systems already use.

You may wonder why this system is in place? Consider this: you log in as admin, and a piece of spyware or similar comes onto your system. It has your user privileges. Would you rather that it can tramp all over your system at will, or would you rather the system make sure that the entity requesting the change is really the admin (i.e. you?) The way it does this is by asking you your password. If somebody happens across your machine while you've turned your back, they can't damage the system or make changes as long as they haven't got your password.

You ask if I find it idiotic to have to provide your password after you've already logged in. What guarantee do you have that the person trying to remove this part of the OS is the same person who logged in 3 hours ago? None at all. The system asks again to make sure that it's you.

On a side note, the tone of your posts is quite inflammatory ("i said OS X is a JOKE" etc.) You are clearly quite wound up about this, but the fact is that Windows is the only OS that _doesn't_ authenticate in this way, and it's the one with the biggest malware problem - an admin that doesn't need to authenticate is a terrifying thing.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLZaCH
But reguardless, is there a way to auto-authenicate ?

I tell ya what, I'll never switch to Mac OSX, not outright anyway. what a joke.
And then people wonder why there are so many viruses and crapware on Windows....
Windows automatically logs you in as root with full access...and gives that same full access to malware and crapware that floats around the internet.
If you were to invoke root and let it run all the time, then your system would be all but defesnseless against that kind of crap.
Mac OS X and *nix systems prevent this by requiring authentication.
Just one of the resons why they are more stable and secure than Windows. In this day and age of internet/computer security..ID theft...viruses...malware..etc....essesntially, you are asking to make your system less secure and make it vulnerable to attack.... and that my friend, is even more of a joke.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Notice how their is no spyware/viruses for OS X? You change the user priveledges so that you don't have to authenticate and you are making it just as easy to get malware on a Mac as it is a PC

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Not 100% true. Every-time I restart my Quad (not very often mind you) and I open Safari or Mail, I have to provide my password for keychain to get my info.
Well that's not normal behaviour either, so maybe you have some fixing to do as well
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Have you enabled a password on the Keychain itself? If you open up Keychain is the lock on the top left corner closed?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Have you enabled a password on the Keychain itself? If you open up Keychain is the lock on the top left corner closed?
Why I do believe that is what it was. I thought I unlocked it after I moved my profile to the Quad, but apparently I didn't. THANKS!

EDIT: I also ran Keychain First Aid and it seemed to clean up a bunch of stuff too...

QUOTE Thanks
BaLLZaCH

cazabam,

Very true, very true.
I just got mad at OSX.

And I do understand all the points being made.

But my point is, I am the type of person that LIKES to be able to fix things. I don't like disposable products. Meaning, if it stops working, I don't just buy a new one LOL, Not me. I like to get under the hood, fix the bolt that came out, and even if I have to RIG it with a tapped out metric bolt in a SAE hole, I can still make it work.

The problem I have with MAC OSX is that I can not do what "I" want to do. Yes yes, I understand the 'security' issues, but what apple fails to understand is the need for deversity, these OS's at some point need to be tweaked. AND somebody WILL.

My belief is that if Windows didn't exist, SOMETHING ELSE LIKE WINDOWS would, But I also beleive the PC as we know it is going away, like you said moving more towards OSX in an effort to merge on-demand based programming and subscription services. Goodbye admin users.

I do also understand the points about 'NIX systems, and I understand that osx is built off a Unux type structure, I understand the security reasons and the reason for authenticating. But brand new users don't understand, and simply believe that a Mac is just automatically better than a PC, because it is "easier" to them.

Ohh yeah, and just a note about a user using your 'admin' account 3 hours later, I don't have that problem, because I have a blank screen saver set that requires authentication (LOL) password to get back. Not rocket science.

LOL, anyways, I knew the post was going to fly South after that post, so Ill try to get it back on track and let the post die,,,, You all have answered my questions about the authentication stuff....

So we have determined:
1: You cannot have more than one ROOT account, and
2: You must authenticate, no if ands or buts.

Perfect, exactly what I wanted to know. Cmon, there has to be a way around thought, right ???

Thanks, I appriciate the posts !!!

[RESOLVED]

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Cmon, there has to be a way around thought, right ???
Umm... you answered your very own question in the very same post.
:black:
Quote:
So we have determined:
1: You cannot have more than one ROOT account, and
2: You must authenticate, no if ands or buts.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
The problem I have with MAC OSX is that I can not do what "I" want to do. Yes yes, I understand the 'security' issues, but what apple fails to understand is the need for deversity, these OS's at some point need to be tweaked. AND somebody WILL.

What is it that "you" want to do that you can't. You are coming off as both arrogant and ignorant in your rants. Having to enter your admin password when you make changes to the system is there for your own good, thats why when Vista actually comes out it will be doing the same thing.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Hello again,

I didn't know how to even begin seaching fot this, but when you, say, add or delete a application in Utilities, OSX wants AUTHENTICATION, you must Authinticate to continue, every time.

I searched Mac help, and it basically says that this is just "The way it is, for security reasons"

Well I think that is just redculous.

I have tried enabling administration privilages to the users, adding the users to the keychain (worth a shot), and enabling ROOT. I even tried loggin into different accounts in the console. No luck, obviously.

Is there a way to change this ?

I mean, don't you find it a bit idiotic to have to re-enter your password after you already LOGGEN IN ??? I mean, DUHH.

If I could, I would remove every peice of security junk on here, its worthless to an experienced user... But just removing the authinticate password would be a good start :-)
Any ideas ?

Thanks !
I went back and copied/duplicated some files in Utilities and Apps and then deleted them. It did not require any authentication for me to move/delete them.

Do a get info on your Apps folder and make sure that you have permission to read and write to it. If not, unlock it, it will ask for your password, and then give yourself the appropriate rights. Then click "Apply to Enclosed items" and then try deleting something and see what happens.

By the way, it's spelled "ridiculous" not "redculous"..

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ???????????"HD" icon is now "52" ???????????? | window sizes »