New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Completely removing applications from osx ?? How to: Uninstalling programs ?? - V2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BaLLZaCH

Hi again,

I have a relative newbie question, how do you COMPLETELY remove an installed application or game from mac os X ???

I searched the forum and found "Removing applications?" but basically just said that after you delete them from 'applications' folder of finder that you have to search the HD for the program name and delete all traces yourself.

This does not seem right to me,

NOT TRYING to start a 'Winblows" conversation but, I mean, even back in dos-only and windows 3.11 days there were utilities that would monitor installations and log them for uninstall. Even now with XP at least it tells you where the files are being put, So,

I am just CONFUSED (Confused is all), at where the app's go, and how to completely remove them.

It seems to me that deleting apps from 'applications' folder has about the same effect as deleting the "program files" folder of Windows - basically removes the 'majority' of stuff but.................. (BUT ...) Lol

Any info is greatly appriciated.

Thank you all !
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

all you need to do is drag the file to the trash is all you need to do. and then the program is 'uninstalled'. if you want to go the further steps to remove a few lil files which take up no room at all, you can then do a spotlight search if you REALLY want to delete those files which may take up a total of a few MB's.

until then remember that you arent using windows, and this is a really good way of 'installing' and 'uninstalling' files
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Nope, all you have to do is move the application from the applications folder to the trash and empty your trash. It's that simple. It confused me at first, I thought "Wait, that's it?! What else do I have to do?" but that's the beauty of the simplicity of OS X. I think that you're thinking too hard about it. You'll get over it after you delete a few apps. If you REALLY want to, you can buy AppZapper, but I think that's just wasted money unless there's an app that REALLY won't leave you alone.

My advice: Just try it, you'll see it works and you'll be content. It's a major beginning mental hurdle for people new to OS X, but you'll get the hang of it.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLZaCH
It seems to me that deleting apps from 'applications' folder has about the same effect as deleting the "program files" folder of Windows - basically removes the 'majority' of stuff but.................. (BUT ...) Lol
What you have to keep in mind is that what you see as a single .app icon is actually package with multiple files within it. These files that are contained within the .app wrapper are the same ones that Windows throws hither and yon within the OS. Apps that require other files will keep those files within the apps folder in the Applications folder.

The second thing to keep in mind is how the mac OS interacts with applications, because it is VERY different from how Windows does it.

Thirdly, because all of those files are gathered in one place, simply dropping the the .app in the trash will get rid of everything that makes up the app.

Fourth, there are a few files that will be left behind, usually install logs, prefs or plist files, none of which will interfere with the OS or any other apps and will not take up any meaningful space.

QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Just remember... It ain't Windows, it's better!
QUOTE Thanks
BaLLZaCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
What you have to keep in mind is that what you see as a single .app icon is actually package with multiple files within it.

Right, I was beginning to understand that after tinkering,
but what still confused me, and the reason I asked, is because I had put a few shareware apps, and after moving the applications folder to the trash, I still have alias links in the system preferences window. (Utilities) Even after restart. Im not worried about it, just confused me.

But that is nice to know that all it takes is a 'move to trash' and 'empty trash' - Crazy, seems too easy.

Thanks !!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do applications use so much virtual memory | Newb Needing Help! »