New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Always Losing Input Menu Preferences

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fumomo

I've had a search and can't find any help with this problem. Hopefully one of you lovely Mac gurus will be able to give me some advice!

My iBook (bought in the UK), runninng OS X 10.2.8, is having problems with keeping my input language preferences. I have my languages set to British English and Japanese and the input menu set to British English, Character Palette and Japanese. I should be able to switch easily between these three different types of input but I always find that my input menu is set at British English and American English when I look at the drop-down menu showing the flag.

The strange thing is that when I go to System Preferences to change the input menu, it shows British English, Character Palette and Japanese as ticked. I have to uncheck and check the tick-box in order to reinstate those input languages.

This problem only started when I got my iBook back from Apple in Japan after they replaced the logic board. Is it possible that they did something to the language settings there, assuming that I wouldn't need Japanese input because I am a foreigner? Seems kind of unlikely.

Thanks for your help in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
fumomo

*bump*

I'm still having this problem with my iBook and it's quite frustrating for me as I switch between Japanese and English a lot when writing emails. I can't believe that noone else has experienced this or can comment on why it's happening!

I realise that the input languages are changing every time I shut down. What's up with my machine?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Have you tried making the setting as you want it then repair permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
fumomo

Ah! Okay, I will try that. Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari browser "search for" | MAC Browser »