New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Is there anyway to make it so the Mount Point of My external HD is always the same??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tdcdodger

Hello, I have a firewire external HD, and I have a lot of shortcuts in the Finder pointing towards this HD. I also have a lot of programs like Limewire and Azureus set with default directories pointing towards this external HD. It works fine sometimes, but sometimes when it remounts, it changes the Mount Point between for example '/Volumes/WAREZ 3' or '/Volumes/WAREZ 2' or all kinds of different names. This screws up all of those shortcuts and programs pointing towards it.

Is there any ways to make sure that this mounting point is always the same??

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I have a number of things pointed towards various external drives by default, but I've never had an issue with this happening. Do you regularly mount/unmount the drives while the computer is running?

On a side note, the fact that you have admitted that this drive is use for Warez is not going to get you much help here, pirating or the use of illegal software is highly frowned upon in this forum.

QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Hey baggss I regularly mount/unmount the firewire drive while the mac's running, is this not a good thing?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I don't do "WAREZ" but on both my iMac G5 and Intel Core Duo Mini have large external drives. I have some applications on the externals and paths from apps on the main drive going to the external. It always works for me. Even iTunes. When the external is not mounted because I have it somewhere else, itunes just won't play those songs but when it's back in line, all is fine.

The problem could be the Apps you are running like Limewire and Azureus although I have used Azureus and pointed it at my external and had no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It may have to do with the mounting and unmounting while the machine is running. I don't do this with my external discs so I don't know for sure. I also agree that it may be the Apps your using as well....

QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I mount and unmout external drives while my MBP is running all the time. The only time I run into a problem is if a program is currently using the external drive. But every time I mount them they come back just the same and everything work so I don't think just the unmounting and mounting them is the problem. I don't use Limewire or Azurez so I can't say if they don't have something to do with it but from my expierence I would say it's them, or something wrong with the drive itself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cannot sign in | Hard drive in main window »