New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - force finder default view to list mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sentofuno

sentofuno is on a distinguished road

hi

aside from my pictures folder i want all windows to default to list view but i can't seem to figure it out, any ideas? - 10.4.7, both ppc and intel

thanks

mac mini core 2 duo - 10.5.1 server
macbook core duo - 10.5.1 client
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentofuno
hi

aside from my pictures folder i want all windows to default to list view but i can't seem to figure it out, any ideas? - 10.4.7, both ppc and intel

thanks
when on the finder, go to finder, preferences --> general, and then open new windows in column view
QUOTE Thanks
sentofuno

thanks for replying

i thought column view was the one with several columns for progressive subfolders? maybe i'm calling it the wrong thing but i was looking for the view where you have different columns for filename, type, last modified, size etc.

i tried your suggestion just in case but it doesn't seem to change anything, folders either open as i set them, or folders i have never been to before open in icon view. is there anything else i need to do?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentofuno
thanks for replying

i thought column view was the one with several columns for progressive subfolders? maybe i'm calling it the wrong thing but i was looking for the view where you have different columns for filename, type, last modified, size etc.
No, you are correct. List view and Column view are two very different things.
There is no way for you to set a global default to have Finder windows open in List view.
You will have to set each folder that you want to open in List View individually. You can do this by opening the folder in question, then setting the view by going to Finder>View>as List.
This will set the preference for that folder and will always open as a list view.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
No, you are correct. List view and Column view are two very different things.
There is no way for you to set a global default to have Finder windows open in List view.
You will have to set each folder that you want to open in List View individually. You can do this by opening the folder in question, then setting the view by going to Finder>View>as List.
This will set the preference for that folder and will always open as a list view.
I'm on my work PC right now so I cannot verify, but I thought there was a button at the top of the Finder options that states "Apply to All Windows" or "Apply to this Window".
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erudite.Warrior
I'm on my work PC right now so I cannot verify, but I thought there was a button at the top of the Finder options that states "Apply to All Windows" or "Apply to this Window".
There is, but that will still not allow all Finder windows to open in List view.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
sentofuno

cheers for clearing that up, at least i know now

QUOTE Thanks
sprale

sprale is on a distinguished road

I have looked around a bit for the same thing. I have a Mac server with 10 or more regular users connecting to it. I prefer List View, and so do most of the users. When a new folder is made on the server, Icon View is default. The user can change it to List, but only for that session, I have to go log in to to the server and change it in the server's Finder for it to stick. I think that 10.5 fixes it though. I won't really know until next year when I upgrade my server and workstations to 10.5... hurry up and wait
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Icon in iTunes Toolbar... | flashing knot? on startup »