New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Formatting HDD for MacBook & Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigDaddy

BigDaddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive

I just bought a MacBook a few weeks ago and my wife needed to have windows to run a piece of software for her work. So I used BootCamp and installed windows. Then I bought an external hard drive to store home movies and pictures of my family on and I need to format the new drive. I want to format it so that the files can be read by both Mac and Windows. From what I am seeing the biggest problem I have is that it is a 250GB drive.

Can anyone help me out on formating the entire drive to be read on both OS's?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Happily, Mac OS will read PC formatted disks. So, simply format it on the PC for FAT32 and the Mac should be able to read it. Alternately you can use Disk Utility on the Mac to format it for the PC format, and that should work too.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Didn't you just post this in another of these forums? I answered it there.

Cross posting is generally considered to be a no-no, and a violation of forum etiquette.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
DeathToPCs

Why did you post this in 3 different areas???
QUOTE Thanks
BigDaddy

I wanted to make sure that I got some answers. I assume that not everyone reads out of the same forums
QUOTE Thanks
BigDaddy

Will this allow me to write from both Windows and Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
BigDaddy

Noob mistake. I just wanted to make sure this question gets answered so that I can get my new drive up and running.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I wanted to make sure that I got some answers. I assume that not everyone reads out of the same forums
Welcome to the forums. Just to let you know, cross-posting is heavily frowned upon here.
Please see the Forum Rules before you post again.
:black:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ann...nouncementid=7

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I will be merging your threads which is going to look mighty strange and might deter people from answering your question. As has been mentioned above.. please do not cross post it's not good on so many levels regardless of the fact that it's against the rules Thank you and welcome to the forums!

Once you read the rules and abide by them you'll have a better welcoming party then how you were received this time
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

If you format the drive as NTFS, you won't be able to modify the files from OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
BigDaddy

Is there any way to format the drive so that I can write files from OS X and then be able to read on Windows and rewrite from Windows and be able to read and rewrite again from OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

FAT32 will let both OSs read/write info from the disk.

NTFS=Windows Read/Write, Mac Read
HFS+=Windows NO Read/Write, Mac Read/Write

Go with FAT32.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

It's not possible for winblows to read OS X's partition. (Windows sucks.)
It is possible for OS X to read FAT32 windows partitions.

So while in OS X, you just write to the windows partition, and while in windows, you write to the windows partition too.

(Just clarifying in case the post above isn't the exact answer you're looking for)
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

There are three main formats you have to deal with:

1. HSF+: OS X's format
2. NTFS: Windows' new format (Windows 2000 & XP)
3. FAT32: Windows' old format

By default, Windows cannot read or write to OS X's HSF+ format. OS X can read Windows' NTFS format, but cannot write to it. FAT32 is the "universal" format - it can be read and written to by both OS X and Windows. If you want to share a hard drive between the systems, you will need to format it to FAT32. This can be done in OS X or Windows XP. In OS X, use Spotlight to find "Disk Utility". Within Disk Utility, select your spare hard drive and go to Erase. Instead of using Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is another name for HFS+, use the MS-DOS File System, which is another name for FAT32. This will allow the drive to be used by both OS X and Windows. Hope that helps!

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help cleaning hard drive | Change Finder Icon »