New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Often forgot screenshot method...

Thread Closed

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

From Mac Daily News...

With Mac OS X v10.2, you now have yet another option for capturing screenshots. This method is so often ignored that it may as well be a secret. We're here to let the secret out. The first two options were available in previous versions of Mac OS X (note: Command = Apple key):

1. Press Command-Shift-3 all at once to take a screenshot of your entire screen.
2. Press Command-Shift-4 all at once and Mac OS X presents you with crosshairs you can use to select whatever portion of your display you'd like to capture in a screenshot. Just select your desired area, let up on the mouse and whatever you've highlighted will be captured.

The new third option in Jag is very cool:
3. Type Command-Shift-4 and then press the spacebar once. The crosshairs will change into a camera icon. Hover the camera over any element on the screen you wish to capture, for example, the Dock, the menu bar, the desktop, or any open window. Then just click the mouse button to "snap" a screen shot. Or hit Command-. (Command-period) to cancel. With this option, you can entirely eliminate the desktop when you capture a screen shot of an individual window and get a clean outline without having to crop your screenshot in another application.

Cool, huh?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

maybe i should share more of these too, cause ive been doing this for a long time now.. you can also hit 'Esc' to cancel or get rid of the crosshairs/camera

rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Cool!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Thats sweet I always love learning new mac tricks.
Fluid

Fluid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB

I'll sticky this!

Fluid@Mac-Forums.com
AstralZenith

Quote:
Originally posted by Graphite@Mar 12 2003, 11:50 AM
Thats sweet I always love learning new mac tricks.
me and graph were familar the command shift 3/4 since the good old days

but hte camera one is knew,

cool very yes :lol:
Giaguara

Err.. what are the "other" methods? I remember Amborsia was selling a software that does this but I've *always* used these keys so ...
kXn

SnapZPro.. The one I use... Ha!
Stoomie

why is it that I cant take a screen capture while watching a dvd?
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Hmm I didnt know that was an issue...
mb it takes up 2 much CPU? or its a lock? I dont know..
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You know, I couldn't get a screenshot to work when I was using iSight either using the shift-cmd-3 option. However, I could do it using Grab.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

you can take a screenshot of a DVD if you use VLC and hit ****+command+3 when watching the DVD. for some reason Apple DVD player wont let you

/\pp|eGuy

When I take a screen capture OSX saves them as PDF files. How do I convert them to Jpg?
TrackMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\pp|eGuy
When I take a screen capture OSX saves them as PDF files. How do I convert them to Jpg?
open them (default is Preview)
goto File
goto Export...
choose your options
CaptainMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\pp|eGuy
you can also download drop jpeg
this is what i use because i cant open pdfs in preview

Thread Closed

« MAC OS X Reformating | Wont boot up past blue screen »