New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Cloned HD to External FW drive, wont boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seanieb64

Hi,

I was recently graced with a Lacie 250 GB external FireWire drive, I was stoked, since I'd wanted to install Ubuntu, too hard to config to run pff of the firewire drive, so, I used CarbonCopyCloner to clone my internal HD, and put OSX and my files on the FireWire drive, then put Linux on the internal drive

One problem. The drive has been successfully cloned, but will not boot...

Any suggestions? :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

have you been holding the option key down when booting in order to bring you to the screen that lets you choose your boot drive?
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I haven't used CCC in awhile but I believe there is a preference to "make it bootable", you need to have chosen that if you wanted to boot from the drive.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Also, I've seen cases where it (for some reason) works best to first erase the *TARGET* disk using Disk Utility, and *then* use CCC to clone the drive.

"I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
" - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix
QUOTE Thanks
seanieb64

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

You don't mention the hardware you are running; some older Macs will not boot from an external Firewire drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disk space | Emac Tiger on imac? »