New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

havest best ideas

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neoneye

We are a few people on an operating system project, which would like to know
more about macos ideas/concepts. Most of us unfortunatly only have x86.

please feel free to submit _best_ ideas... As you can see our
knowledge about macos are fairly limited (but we would like to know)
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.p...Features/MacOs

BTW: we aim to make the OS user friendly.. are we on the right track?
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage

--
Simon Strandgaard
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I do know one thing.. and that is your website is not user friendly at all.. and if your website is any indication of your OS then I would say it needs to be a whole lot more user friendly.. like Mac OS
QUOTE Thanks
neoneye

Yes, suggestions for improvements so the homepage become more user-friendly are welcome. Agreed the look and feel could be better (I better add some CSS).

I am aware of
http://usability.gov/guidelines/index.html

However back to the question: Whats the best features in macos?

How does the init-system work ?

I have seen some mac-application which are shipped with
a GUI training program (stored as vector graphics). What is the name of this feature ?

We plan to use path-shortcuts in our file-system. Does
macos have a similar thing?
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.p...sPathShortcuts

Does macos have anything similar to I/O slaves?
http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?WhatsIoSlaves

--
Simon Strandgaard
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

1. Kind of a hard question.. there are so many, right now since I don't have Panther.. expose looks like something I REALLY want to try out.

2. No clue

3. Not sure what you are talking about, but my guess is that it was a Flash based training system.

4. Well MacOSX is unix so your examples that you have for unix is indeed what Mac's is also. You can make symlinks which is basically an alias or just a plain ole alias from the GUI.

5. Just remember that the Mac backbone is unix.. so all those examples for unix is what the MacOS command line does also. So as far as I know those I/O slaves.. we do not have.. kind of a kewl idea though.

I guess the kewlest thing about Mac is it's GUI and how it works with the command line, so that it is seamless and you have no clue anything is going on in the background. So that a user would never have to use the command line if they did not want to.
QUOTE Thanks
neoneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
1. Kind of a hard question.. there are so many, right now since I don't have Panther.. expose looks like something I REALLY want to try out.
Are there any URL's where these features are summarized, without being salemen talk?

Quote:
3. Not sure what you are talking about, but my guess is that it was a Flash based training system.
It itegrated nicely with the users selected look and feel.

Quote:
4. Well MacOSX is unix so your examples that you have for unix is indeed what Mac's is also. You can make symlinks which is basically an alias or just a plain ole alias from the GUI.

5. Just remember that the Mac backbone is unix.. so all those examples for unix is what the MacOS command line does also. So as far as I know those I/O slaves.. we do not have.. kind of a kewl idea though.
Does macos have multilinks, eg a link with can point at several locations ?

I am curious to which features macos file system have?

Quote:
I guess the kewlest thing about Mac is it's GUI and how it works with the command line, so that it is seamless and you have no clue anything is going on in the background. So that a user would never have to use the command line if they did not want to.
A friendly facade which tames the beast :-)

--
Simon Strandgaard
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

I would say go hit the apple site and read all about it there. Do searches on Google and you'll probably find everything you want. I don't speak most of the tech speak so a lot of it I just don't know. Good luck on your OS!

Actually I think the best way would be to buy a mac yourself.. you might like it so much that you decide to forget creating a new OS
QUOTE Thanks
neoneye

Quote:
Actually I think the best way would be to buy a mac yourself.. you might like it so much that you decide to forget creating a new OS
Remember I am against of closed-source.. and its freedom which drives me :-)

--
Simon Strandgaard
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

I thought Darwin was open source?
QUOTE Thanks
neoneye

Quote:
I thought Darwin was open source?
True.

However the GUI + many mac applications are closed source.

BTW: we are thinking about using Darwin or L4 as our kernel.

--
Simon Strandgaard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie with a 17" iMac | OS9 Install Problem in Panther - HELP! »