New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - How To Set The Root Password on Mac OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have just switched to Mac, from Windows and Linux. I have had my new Mac (a Power Mac G5, OS X 10.4.6) for about a week now. Today, for the first time, I tried out sudo and just su itself. Trouble in paradise...

su prompted me for a password. At no time during the set up of this Mac was I ever asked to enter a root password - I had hoped it simply hadn't been set, and typing "su" would just log me in as root. Is there a default password that all Macs come with that I can use? Alternately, is there some way of setting the root password at this point?

For sudo, once I get past being able to log in as root, I will need to find the Mac OS X equivalent of what in Linux would be /etc/sudoers. Where does this live on the Mac?

Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

There may be a different way to do it than this, but trust me...it works. And you can look and ask around, it does work:

Get your OSX restore/install and put it in. Click on Install Mac OS. You'll be asked to restart. Do it. You're not going to resinstall, just keep going through windows of the installer until you get to one called utilities or something. one of the choices is reset password. change the password to something you know and then quit the installer.

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Your admin pass word should work with sudo. To use su you would need antohter user. As you said with root. The root user is disabled by default with OS X. You will have to enalbe root and give it a pass word to be able to su to it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

So, the root user ID doesn't exist at all? That would be consistent with what I see in the Users preference panel. This is just fine if I can set up a sudoers file somewhere, so that I don't have to go through the password challenge/response for every "sudo" based command. Is there a Mac OS X equivalent of sudoers?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Navigate to /Applications/Utilities and open NetInfo Manager. Select Security > Authenticate and type your administrator password (login password). Now go Security > Enable Root User, from there it will be pretty obvious. To disable the root user (suggested when you are done) open NetInfo Manager again, authenticate and then disable the root user from the Security menu.

--Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
So, the root user ID doesn't exist at all? That would be consistent with what I see in the Users preference panel. This is just fine if I can set up a sudoers file somewhere, so that I don't have to go through the password challenge/response for every "sudo" based command. Is there a Mac OS X equivalent of sudoers?
Are you logged in as an administrator when you are trying to use sudo? All users with admin privs should be in the sudoers list by default. You shouldn't be prompted for a password.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks all. When I am being prompted for the sudo password, I have just opened a Terminal window and typed "sudo some-command". There is only one user on this machine, and that is me. I do have admin priveledges - I am asked for the password from time to time on software installs and it works. Based on what you said, I should be in the sudoers file then?

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If I remember correctly, being in the sudoers file will only allow you to use the sudo command. You will always have to enter the pass word when using it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If I remember correctly, being in the sudoers file will only allow you to use the sudo command. You will always have to enter the pass word when using it.
That is correct.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoblp
There may be a different way to do it than this, but trust me...it works. And you can look and ask around, it does work:

Get your OSX restore/install and put it in. Click on Install Mac OS. You'll be asked to restart. Do it. You're not going to resinstall, just keep going through windows of the installer until you get to one called utilities or something. one of the choices is reset password. change the password to something you know and then quit the installer.
On 10.4 it's the second install screen (when booted from the DVD) and it's under utilities.

I have the root account enabled on all the Mac in my house.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! | Keyboard Lock? »