New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - iMac Freezing after Update with certain apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cpipes

Hello All,

I'll start with the hardware. New Intel iMac 20" 1 gb RAM

Has anyone had this problem? I did the latest software update and the latest firmware update. I didn't have any problems with the install and it booted fine and I was able to use it normally. However I tried to use MPlayer a few days later and as soon as it launches my Mac freezes. Well let me define the freeze. I am able move the mouse and I see the mouse cursor however I'm not able to open anything or do anything cept for hit the power button and reboot. I thought it may just have been my program, but I noticed it again when I tried to use UnRarX a few days later.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

I had 1 such instance of that behavior, exactly as you describe it. In my case I had edited and was saving a photo with HP Photosmart Edit. I immediately installed the available updates this past Saturday when I got my iMac, so I have no idea how it might have behaved without them. I have not encountered that again since the first/only time, but it was definitely odd.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

This might be worth reading (from Apple discussions, regarding Security Update 2006-003:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....82034&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
iPodJon120

iPodJon120 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone

I'm having the exact same problem. I thought it was safe to install the updates because I didn't have that Adobe Version Cue program installed, but I was wrong. My computer crashes when I try to run the LAME encoder for iTunes; which really sucks because I am in the middle of re-ripping all my cds, and now I'm stuck. Any tips?

20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB HD 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM
80 GB 5.5G iPod
8 GB iPhone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where Does OS X and/or Finder Cache Thumbnails | Help Please! »